• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

To header or not?

vintage chromoly

Local time
2:39 AM
Reaction score
Hello all.
Have a 446 in my coronet.
Mild build.
Ported 906 heads
Crower solid flat cam 240 ish and .620 lift
3:23 gears
2800 turbo action converter
Power steering manual brakes

Looking for more performance out of this car and I think the HP manifolds are a limiting factor.
I like the stock look, but headers wouldn't hurt my feelings.
Thinking of using the Dougs 452 ceramic coated headers.
Any thoughts?

that cam could use some headers to separate the exhaust impulses; especially during the overlap event.

Hello all.
Have a 446 in my coronet.
Mild build.
Ported 906 heads
Crower solid flat cam 240 ish and .620 lift
3:23 gears
2800 turbo action converter
Power steering manual brakes

Looking for more performance out of this car and I think the HP manifolds are a limiting factor.
I like the stock look, but headers wouldn't hurt my feelings.
Thinking of using the Dougs 452 ceramic coated headers.
Any thoughts?
I would think that with that high lift cam and ported heads, headers would almost be necessary, is that a true magnum block? IMO I would definitely put headers on there if you're looking for a bit more performance. I'm sure someone with More knowledge will chime in.

I'm thinking 1-7/8" pipes..

The HP manifolds give you about 4 H.P. over the old log style manifolds. A good set of headers will get you about 15 H.P. & your plug changes will be easier with headers, IMO

Talking apples and oranges between your motor and mine (poly 318) that I'm getting rebuilt soon; the builder talked me into headers even though I wasn't a big fan of this. I'm looking to snag every horse I can (w/o getting radical) and he said headers are a quick and easy 25 horses for my motor. You have lot's more power of course so it's a matter of how much more fast you want. I've heard good things about HP manifolds (not available for me or may have opted for them) though not quite the flow you'd get from quality headers. You got nice highway gearing which I had (3:23's) then went to 3:55's that have some regrets about, a nice difference off the line but not so much cruising at 70MPH. 3:55's might give you the boost w/o going the header route and still nice cruising with your set up...my two cents...

Yep headers pretty much always add power (and some sound too!) Honestly, with your engine combo if you're going for more performance consider a gear change, I would personally run at least a 3.90 with that cam and converter...

Ceramics result in a 100 degree cooler underhood temperature than anyone else at car shows. There is a considerable weight savings too. Mine has TTI polished ceramics. Get your wallet for these. $1000 to the door, headers only. Buy from a FBBO vendor if you get them, not direct. Behind the TTI's are QTP cut outs and Dynomax superturbos.

Looking good under the hood with the stock pie pan and turquoise block!

i've never understood the love affair with cast manifolds and the belief they are nearly as good as tubing exhaust. high overlap camshafts have to have the exhaust pulses separated.

Another thing that falls into the swap would be plug wires.

What does the "forum" recommend. I'm wanting to research this myself.

Headers and gears will really wake it up. How much gear is the question. 3.55's = 2800 to 3000 rpm at 60 mph . How much rpm can you live with and mpg. I like TTI also.

Is the TTI product worth the additional 300 over the Dougs?
Both look to be high quality gear.

Also, are you guys buying universal "h" or "x" pipe kits and fabricating to the mufflers?

Headers and gears will really wake it up. How much gear is the question. 3.55's = 2800 to 3000 rpm at 60 mph . How much rpm can you live with and mpg. I like TTI also.
Yessir it's that age-old compromise....why don't they make a non-electronic 8-spd transmission for these things yet lol!!

i've never understood the love affair with cast manifolds and the belief they are nearly as good as tubing exhaust. high overlap camshafts have to have the exhaust pulses separated.

I was trying to keep the car somewhat "factory" appearing. Check out the Holley manifold with the advertising cut out between the front runners.

That said, if it's no fun to drive and feels like my grandfathers caprice Classic, something has to change.

Tire size would also play a role in that equation, correct?

Another thing that falls into the swap would be plug wires.

What does the "forum" recommend. I'm wanting to research this myself.
i make my own wires. get the components and when the engine is on the stand with headers attached fabricate to fit.

Auto Transport Service
Back