• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

To Paint or Not to Paint?????

cr8crshr

Local time
4:22 AM
Reaction score
Which is the preference here? Paint Aluminum Engine components....In this case MOPAR Turquoise....or paint with VHT Aluminum paint. The engine is not original to the car....383....but is period or date coded correct as it is a 1965 engine. Or, do I keep the block and oil pan painted and then paint the Aluminum parts in VHT Aluminum paint" I have a bunch of newer parts...Radiator, Radiator Overflow Container, H2O pump, Heads, Intake Manifold, that are Aluminum...MOPAR Valve covers, Air Cleaner, are Black as from the maker, newer Brake Master Cylinder, etc. I have combined old and new but I am just not sure of how to address the Aluminum parts. Let to opinions flow....:hello2::blob1::hello2::blob1::hello2::blob1:

I prefer painted parts. Ma Mopar painted aluminum parts, like hemi and six barrel intakes. Chevy on the other hand, let their parts corrode with no coating. Finned valve covers look nice with the tops of the fins polished though. :)

-=Photon440=-

Going with painted block and heads. The rest will retain the natural AL look...Thanks for the reads...

I Don't paint aluminum

I don't paint my Aluminum parts, alum. 6bbl intake, alum. Eddy heads, alum. M.P. Valve covers, alum. Mopar water pump, alum. custom radiator & alum. shroud, alum. Moroso overflow can, alum. engine acc. mounting brackets, aluminum serpintine pulleys, etc., I personally like the look of the Aluminum, especially machined or freshly blasted/beeded & clean, instead of just engine paint, I'm not trying to fool anyone with the parts, or trying to do some OEM restoration look alike either, I preffer that look & they are much easier to clean if necessary also... but to each their own... opinions will vary vastly I'm sure... that's mine... good luck with your choice

I did everything in the factory turquoise for my '65. Aluminum waterpump and housing, heads, intake, even the valley pan gasket. I did leave the chrome on my old Direct Connection rocker covers. I like the subtle look, but that is just personal preference.

clean em up and hit 'em with high temp clear!

Thanks Dawg. I was beginning to think you were avoiding me??? Just bustin' it a little. All kidding aside...I thought about that look long and hard. I mean everything is new in the engine bay of either NOS, Repop, or Aftermarket. I like the Aluminum finish just fine. That being said...With the block and oil pan already MOPAR Turquoise every thing else looked to me out of sink. So I decided to paint the Heads and then paint with VHT Aluminum the Intake, H2O Pump, and Fuel Pump as they are in their natural state. The Valve Covers and Air Cleaner are MOPAR Aluminum in Black. Radiator is Aluminum too. Just shake it up a little in the appearance for some contrast of the colors. Pics fort coming....

Auto Transport Service
Back