• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

To replace or not...

wldgtx

Local time
7:42 AM
Reaction score
So I am in the process of tearing down my Hemi GTX and I realized a few things.

1. The interior parts are in really nice shape, 90% of the plastic is in fantastic shape, could use a little cleaning and maybe a couple pieces need to be re-dyed.

2. The rear ashtrays were surface rusted but I was able to buff that all off and get the mirror like chrome back like new. Even the arm rest bases were in excellent shape.

3. I also could not believe that when I bought the car the previous owner had provided me with the original build sheet (which is awesome). But when I took the interior apart I found a second build sheet under the rear seat. I was not expecting that and it matches the other, except it has more rust lines from the seat springs.

The reason I started the thread is to ask a question. Looking at the picture, the carpet cleaned up really nice with a shop vac. I have not wet cleaned them with a shampoo or anything, but I am looking for opinions. Should I replace it so it is perfect? I am leaning towards keeping it since it is the original carpet to the car and I think that is really cool. What are your thoughts?

20210531_090608.jpg carpet.jpg

If it were me I’d keep it
Original over after market any day just because of the fit

If it ain't broke don't fix it. If you decide to shampoo it, remove it from the car. There has been known to be build sheets under the carpet also.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Just to be clear, I fully plan to keep the carpet as it looks great, it has that certain smell that I love about these cars, and it fits great!

Auto Transport Service
Back