• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Toilet paper shortage explained.

Kern Dog

Life is full of turns. Build your car to handle.
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:27 PM
Reaction score
My boss said he heard a reasonable explanation for the toilet paper shortage we all saw earlier this year.
He read that the companies that manufacture toilet paper make different quality levels of TP. There is the consumer grade, then the commercial grade.
Consumer grade is what we buy in the store for use in the home.
Commercial grade is everything else that is for businesses, restaurants, hospitals, etc.
When shutdowns and lockdowns went into effect, the TP manufacturers didn't see the shifting demand and kept on making the same products the same way for awhile.
With far fewer people using the bathroom at work, fewer going to restaurants, etc....all the while spending MORE time at home....the TP market was far out of balance. Demand for consumer grade shot way up. People started to hoard it, then TP companies got shut down like the other businesses.....leading to even more shortages.
It makes sense to me.

1 hmmmm.jpeg

I think they diverted the cellulose to make masks instead of toilet paper and paper towels. Total conjecture on my part.

The manufactures of TP are greedy bastards to say the least. When I was a kid there was one size roll of toilet paper with a smaller internal tube. Now they make smaller, narrower rolls with larger tubes so you get less and they make more $$$. One of these days we will be flossing our asses!:carrot:

Don't you love it when the need to use a public restroom arises and you find a roll of postage stamps on the spindle! Of course, at this time of the year they may be holiday themed!
Mike

1/2 ply or less. So thin you can see both sides at the same time. Like dad used to say (RIP) " You could read a newspaper through it!"

There's a lot of truth in that. I couldn't buy TP in grocery store but you could go to grainger and get the big commercial rolls all day long
So I did that

That sounded like a **** story to me, did I say that right!!! :thumbsup:

1/2 ply or less. So thin you can see both sides at the same time.

I just don't understand that. With the stuff being thinner I pull off about 12 feet at a time instead of about 6 squares of regular stuff. The end result is they probably use more of it, not less.

All I know is women go thru that stuff faster than gas thru a funnel.

Well here at my house , we no longer worry about hoarding the TP . if the stores run out, thats o.k., since i installed our knew Biobidet A8 toilet seat. installed it last august and have saved over a few hundred dollars on the TP so far, should have bought 1 long ago..brand new in the box off ebay for 150.00.

love the heated seat on these cold mornings ! even though my hot rod only gets around 7 miles per gallon, i qualify to be called a tree hugger now with it.

Never had that problem here also. And if the shelves were slim in inventory, then Baby Wipes and other wipes used in place along with my Bidet...cr8crshr/Bill:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::usflag::usflag::usflag:

Honestly it was a report from Australia because they have to import it.

Then the tp hoarders heard it and panicked. I bet they have too much toilet paper in their house and now they are overwhelmed and manufacturers dont need to produce as much

Costco posted it as a non returnable item
Some people tried to resell at double and more

Auto Transport Service
Back