• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tommy Boy 67 GTX Restoration

TommyBoyGTX

Local time
8:12 PM
Reaction score
Joined the forum here as we have a project that I think some will find interesting as we are starting to go thru it and definitely want to share with other owners. Working with the original director of the movie Tommy Boy, who now owns the Plymouth from that movie, after searching for it for years. The car spent a good part of its life as an extra for various projects after the movie and finally in 2022 was time to take it back to what it originally was in the beginning of that movie. So it will be a "Day 2" restoration and have some modifications like Cragar wheels, non stock exhaust, etc that make it look slightly modified from original..... and obviously the custom color.
Will need some help locating parts for this build as there is always some odds and ends that come up missing and this car was pretty rough when we brought in the shop. I have a website I created with a blog to follow the progress from start to finish at tommyboygtx.com

Some photos of how we started:

2022-02-25_11-52-49.jpg

2022-02-25_12-25-46.jpg

Holy schnikes!!! Greetings and welcome to FBBO from western NY!

Welcome to the site and what a great car. I like it just the way it is.

Welcome from Illinois!! Wish you would put your "blog to follow the progress from start to finish" right here on FBBO. We have the perfect place for it in our Members Projects & Restorations forum.

Cool story

welcome to FBBO from NorCal Sierras

Welcome from Illinois!! Wish you would put your "blog to follow the progress from start to finish" right here on FBBO. We have the perfect place for it in our Members Projects & Restorations forum.
YEP... post your restoration here as the only time guys leave this forum is to find nudy pics to post in the Blue Section here... :luvplace:

I thought the unibody got crushed/seriously damaged in the movie.

Welcome from NH sea coast. Love the project. Absolutely one of my favorite movies.
“Fat guy in a little coat.”

How many versions of this car did they have? I know one of them was minty, and one looked really ratty at the end complete with the child gate "folding door".

Welcome from Alabama, I have seen the movie several times, and my thoughts were that it was never a real GTX to start with. I would like to hear more as I'm sure you will know. Looking forward to the restoration.

Thanks for all the comments, and yes we are pretty excited to bring this one back to life. And as someone commented in reality this car was never a true GTX but made to sort of look like one. We will be taking that in to consideration as we put it together. For anyone who wants to read about the history of the car I wrote a quick bio and added it here to the website:
About | Tommy Boy GTX

Welcome from Missouri!!

Q for the OP-

Is this the same car that was referred to as a "Roadrunner" in Joe Dirt?

IIRC it was orange in that movie.

Welcome, and thanks for this post!

I picked up some trivia on the car selection back in 1998 when I had my third Plymouth GTX (a '69) for sale in Hemmings. I got a call from the son of a former English professor I'd had at Penn State. He had been one of the screenwriters on "Tommy Boy," and told me he had lobbied unsuccessfully to have the movie car cast as a '69 GTX, his personal favorite. He told me that the lower cost of using the square bodied Satellites, plus a package deal on the cars used in the filming prevailed. Fred Jr. had no knowledge of my Penn State history or my own GTX obsession when he made the call. He didn't buy my car, couldn't afford the $11,000 I was asking at the the time.

....so cool! Miss you so much, Chris.

Please find a place on it for a Holy schnikes!

Joined the forum here as we have a project that I think some will find interesting as we are starting to go thru it and definitely want to share with other owners. Working with the original director of the movie Tommy Boy, who now owns the Plymouth from that movie, after searching for it for years. The car spent a good part of its life as an extra for various projects after the movie and finally in 2022 was time to take it back to what it originally was in the beginning of that movie. So it will be a "Day 2" restoration and have some modifications like Cragar wheels, non stock exhaust, etc that make it look slightly modified from original..... and obviously the custom color.
Will need some help locating parts for this build as there is always some odds and ends that come up missing and this car was pretty rough when we brought in the shop. I have a website I created with a blog to follow the progress from start to finish at tommyboygtx.com

Some photos of how we started:

View attachment 1356984

View attachment 1356983
As a Day 2 build, I've got lots of 66/67 bits and pieces laying around (many 67 coronets over the years). We are all pretty good at hunting down real parts too. ( Gotta love a car that's cherry!)

Auto Transport Service
Back