• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Too much Brake vacuum?

FU64RY

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:43 PM
Reaction score
Step on the brake pedal and it pulls all the way down and will not release, pedal will not come back up. Locks up the Right rear brake.
Too much vacuum?

Possible sticking booster check valve? Does it release if you shut off the engine??

Should be attached to the booster between booster and hose. My son's check valve went bad on his 93 Jeep resulting in very hard braking, couldn't stop for crap. A replacement generic replacement check valve cost about $5.00. Works good now.
Pull the hose off the booster and see if it releases then.

Should be attached to the booster between booster and hose. My son's check valve went bad on his 93 Jeep resulting in very hard braking, couldn't stop for crap. A replacement generic replacement check valve cost about $5.00. Works good now.
Pull the hose off the booster and see if it releases then.
I'll do that tomorrow raining like a bitch here AGAIN/STILL
thank you

I hope it works for you, I am just guessing as I never heard of that happening before. It could be contaminated brake fluid also. Check your return spring under the dash too. I hear you about the rain, I ain't far from you in N.W. Joisey! We have the same wet crap you are getting! I think I will pack my scuba gear in my car before I venture out, LOL :D

I hope it works for you, I am just guessing as I never heard of that happening before. It could be contaminated brake fluid also. Check your return spring under the dash too. I hear you about the rain, I ain't far from you in N.W. Joisey! We have the same wet crap you are getting! I think I will pack my scuba gear in my car before I venture out, LOL :D
I've been under the dash for about two hours trouble shooting.
I did not even see a return spring, I actually thought about installing a bungee.
I'll look on my other car to see what's missing.
Thanks again
steve

What booster? Midland Ross do this when what is called reaction ring gets worn. But those parts are remanufactured now.

Too much vacuum
hmmm.gif
. Can't say I've ever heard of that.

replace the booster I've seen this several times on several types of cars

Still working on some of the suggestions.
No return spring on my other 65.

I just googled whether or not a 64 Plymouth Fury has a return spring. It brought me to a thread here from 2011 or so. It turns out that it's a crap shoot, (mixed bag) in the 60"s; some Mopars had them, others didn't. Do you actually have a brake booster? I don't remember if a single master cylinder was ever used on a booster. Could be, I'm getting old and have CRS! Try a search here for 65 Plymouth brake return spring!

I just googled whether or not a 64 Plymouth Fury has a return spring. It brought me to a thread here from 2011 or so. It turns out that it's a crap shoot, (mixed bag) in the 60"s; some Mopars had them, others didn't. Do you actually have a brake booster? I don't remember if a single master cylinder was ever used on a booster. Could be, I'm getting old and have CRS! Try a search here for 65 Plymouth brake return spring!
My 64 is a stick with no PB's.
Here's my 65 PB booster. Getting ready to install the new check valve. I do not have much confidence in the results.

IMG_8912.JPG

I just did a search on line and an advanced search (all forums) on this site for "brake pedal return spring" and a bunch of threads came up. It seems that it's a mixed bag in the 60's. Some Mopars had them and some did not. I don't think I ever remember seeing a single master cylinder with a brake booster but I am most likely a victim of CRS at my age. Someone here might chime in with more info. I did specify a 1964 Plymouth when I googled the question on line. It brought me back to this site from 2011 or so. Both results seem to confirm it's a crap shoot.

Damn, I typed the former message and posted it above and it went away so I did it again. I see you do have a booster with single master cylinder. Keep fingers crossed that it works. I hope so, keep us posted. :)

Interestingly enough, when I got the generic check valve at the Advanced Auto, they didn't have the right size vacuum hose, checked Napa and another auto parts in town and nobody had it. Ended up using some thick 3/8" hose and it seems to work fine!

Interestingly enough, when I got the generic check valve at the Advanced Auto, they didn't have the right size vacuum hose, checked Napa and another auto parts in town and nobody had it. Ended up using some thick 3/8" hose and it seems to work fine!
The one at Advance was too small.
The one I got from Auto zone has an adapter to reduce to fit.
On my way out to put it on right now. be back in 20 or so.

No luck still the same.

Huge amount of vacuum.
I can remove the hose from the intake and it will stay stuck to my finger, there is that much vacuum, seems to be excessive.

Auto Transport Service
Back