• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Too much heat coming through the firewall - what do you guys use as heat shielding?

David Womby

Local time
4:06 AM
Reaction score
I am looking for something self-adhesive that can go on the engine side of the firewall. It's not for a specific Mopar, so I need something universal that comes in sheets or on a roll. I need to cover about 6 sq ft. I plan covering the areas closest to the exhaust manifolds, the large heater box top center and the flat firewall areas each side of that.

Any suggestions, please? my searches keep finding stuff for sound or to go under the carpets!!!!

Thanks for looking.

David

s-l1600 (18).jpg

Someday when the cash is available.

David

Well i see you live in florida so knowing how these motors can heat a cabin up i totally get your problem.
Unfortunately i do not think there is much you can do to improve this except A/C.

These engines are great heaters. It's just how it is.

But this "engine heater" can also be a good thing if you have a friend like me that always thinks its too warm even if its really cold.
So i do not freeze to death in winter riding in his car. :D

Last edited:
What kind of a car is that? Lower the engine temp with a 160 thermostat. Make sure the firewall is sealed up with no leaks.

make sure your heater is turning off all the way.

Yes insulating will help when you get your AC installed.

If you check places that sell furnace ductwork insulation you will find butyl rubber rolls to reduce noise, and they might even have stuff for heat reduction . Lowe’s etc.

Use some header wrap on the exhaust manifolds were you can.
also wrap the 1st couple foot of the
Exhaust header pipes.
A good jute factory style insulation panel for the interior firewall area will help alot if your original is gone.

The factory put insulation on passenger side of the fire wall for several reasons, one being the insulation absorbing engine fluids and becoming a fire hazard.
I ran 413 Super Stock exhaust manifolds on my 440 powered 1964 Plymouth two door sedan, you could fry eggs on the hood.

That Black engine bay could be a contributing factor. :poke:

What if you put some spacers between the hood hinge and underside of the hood to raise it slightly?
That way it can evacuate some of the engine bay heat as you drive.
A hood scoop would be the other suggestion but I don't think you want to do that to that neat car.

What if you put some spacers between the hood hinge and underside of the hood to raise it slightly?
That way it can evacuate some of the engine bay heat as you drive.
A hood scoop would be the other suggestion but I don't think you want to do that to that neat car.

LOL - no, no hood scoop thanks but you just made me think of another question. The car left the factory with no valance under the front end - like this:
19132177-45.jpg

but a previous owner fitted a metal tray to mine
20220428_135655[1].jpg
to hide the visible suspension. Might it help cool the engine bay if I take it off?

David

Might it help cool the engine bay if I take it off?
David
Help a ton, I'd say - but then, you have the old aesthetic, aero and noise issues the original "look" has.
Me, I'd yank that dang pan off of there.

The issue is that you have a tight engine bay that gets alot of heat.
That heat is migrating thru the firewall.
Any way to evacuate the heat from the engine bay will be a big improvement.
Any consideration to remove the inner fenders? or at least put some openings in them to help get rid of heat?

I assume that valance was installed to direct air into the radiator, if not perhaps he ran someone over in line at The Golden Corral Buffet. I haven't come across anything that would work/ look ok on the engine side of the firewall. Most of the self- stick sound/ heat barriers are all the same when comparing equal mil thickness, if you go that direction good deals can be had on some of the lesser known brands.

Perhaps a shroud around the fan and an electric fan could force some of the hot air out. Are the seals in the front and rear of the hood intact? Insulation will hold the heat in. You need air pressure in the engine compartment.

Auto Transport Service
Back