• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Took my '66 out for a long-overdue spin...

patrick66

Local time
5:36 AM
Reaction score
I developed a couple of "easy-to-fix" problems on my Coronet back in October '20. After a 345-mile day at speeds from 30 to about 85, the brakes were very wonky. It felt like there were no fronts at all! Parked it, then took it out for a close-by cars & coffee-type event. The brakes were still kinda wonky, so I drove it home and parked it for a bit. I bled the complete system, with zero positive results. Tried another couple of times. Still crap. Long story short, the master cylinder was toast.

Last week, I replaced the master after bench-bleeding that, then bled the system again with all-new fluid. Still not right. Better, but not 100%. There is air in there, somewhere. Screw it. I called a buddy with a pro shop and asked him to check it all out and bleed it. I bleed brakes the old-fashioned way. He has all the right tools for that. Boom! Now, I have perfectly-functioning brakes and all is right with the world. I've been driving my Imperial convertible to events and such, and had been itching to drive the Coronet again...and it sure feels great to do so!

The other problem was a grounding issue that was making the brake lights not work, or one or the other. Totally random thing. Fixed that...hopefully. I'm just happy to drive it again. Fixing the car was not a high priority, as I had the Imperial and the '68 D100 to drive and enjoy. Sometimes, having another set of unbiased eyeballs look at something helps a lot.

Coronet-1.jpg

Yup. Had this car for four decades. I feel its every bump and creak. It does talk to me.

Last edited:
These types of things are usually celebrated with some sort of obigatory burnout...
(Doesn't have to be a big one)

Oh, I did that! One of these days, I need to do a short YT video and demonstrate that for folks. That, and the awesome sounds out the tailpipes!

Glad to hear it! I figured out what was wrong with mine, even after the rebuild attempt, the idle mixture screws do nothing. I cannot wait to put all this behind me and drive mine.

I can completely empathize with you . I've a little carb work to finish . The kick down linkage and different springs for the secondary jets . then and only then will I do the celebratory burnout .

I'm taking mine to a local carb rebuilder. I don't have any more carb buckets of my own and he and I greed the fuel supply to the idle circuits aren't working. I have to pull the choke out a good bit to get it to idle. Glad OP got his out! Gives me motivation.

Auto Transport Service
Back