• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tool for forming round to square header tubing

ws23jrt

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:01 AM
Reaction score
I made my own SS headers for my alum Hemi.
To make a round tube fit the square holes on the head mounting plate I came up with this idea and it worked out rather well.

IMG_0447 (Large).JPG IMG_0448 (Large).JPG IMG_0449 (Large).JPG IMG_0450 (Large).JPG IMG_0448 (Large).JPG

Good job!

Stainless isn’t easy to form.

:thumbsup:

This is true --it took a lot of force to do this.:) To gain leverage for the press I used a small ball bearing ahead of the screw to push the others out. Adding a larger ball and repeating the press action made it a three-step action.
The radius of the corners of the square that resulted matched the square holes I made in the 3/8" plate.
Sometimes a hairball idea works out as planned.

Last edited:
So it's true, you can put a square peg in a round hole?

So it's true, you can put a square peg in a round hole?

Are you dyslexic?-:poke::)
I put a round peg in a square hole.:lol:

Now you got me thinking about a tool to make a round end on a square tube.:eek:
I won't' sleep well for a while now.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Nice machine work:thumbsup:

Do you like welding stainless :D

Welding titanium is my favorite for how the weld puddle acts and flows. Welding stainless is a close second for satisfaction in making a nice bead.

How do you secure that in the press ??

The press part is the screw threads. I held the tool in a vise and turned the screw. --A manual press. --Armstrong powered.

The four ball bearings are close together, to begin with. (loose to move within the tool). The round tube it slipped on the tool.
I then added another ball just ahead of the screw (inside).-- When advancing the screw it pushes the inside ball --forcing the balls (seen in the picture) to spread out to form the tube.
The first pic. shows the balls as extended.
The third pic shows the balls retracted to remove the tool from the tube.

BTW making ones own headers to go where they like them to go is a real challenge.--I enjoyed learning on my path.
The cut, fit, weld, finish, etc. was the fun/reward part for me.

Just a reminder for folks with a long-term project. (like me)--When It's done that fun part of building it is over. Enjoy the milestones of progress.
Making tools is a part of the hobby of fixing stuff.

IMG_0263 (Large).JPG

Last edited:
The four ball bearings are close together, to begin with. (loose to move within the tool). The round tube it slipped on the tool.
I then added another ball just ahead of the screw (inside).-- When advancing the screw it pushes the inside ball --forcing the balls (seen in the picture) to spread out to form the tube.
The first pic. shows the balls as extended.
The third pic shows the balls retracted to remove the tool from the tube.

BTW making ones own headers to go where they like them to go is a real challenge.--I enjoyed learning on my path.
The cut, fit, weld, finish, etc. was the fun/reward part for me.

Just a reminder for folks with a long-term project. (like me)--When It's done that fun part of building it is over. Enjoy the milestones of progress.
Making tools is a part of the hobby of fixing stuff.

In simple terms, it's like a tubing expander except that it puts dimples in the tube to square it out instead of just expanding it.

I call those little victories. You get to drink a beer,pat yourself on the back,and do the happy dance. The one's that come out really nice you call the friends and have them bring beer and all do the happy dance. I have this big dent in my garage wall above my bench. Most of my projects hit that spot and fall in a hole behind the bench never to be seen again. No happy dance but I try again. Dave:thumbsup:

Most of us here know about the many roadblocks we encounter with an odd project or a resto project that is held up because we don't have the correct or perfect tool. It is easy to get out the hammer to do something we really know will turn out bad if we do so.

I have learned by -bloodletting- that being in a hurry seldom works out well.
When it comes down to it --using tools is vital. And having the wrong tool can become a big mess. I say step back and think this roadblock out. Even if it takes days or weeks.
Making this tool was fun which added to the fun of the project as a whole.

Very clever:thumbsup:.

Pretty simple but very effective tool, just the way they should be.

That's super fancy! Only method I've ever seen is essentially a home made wooden block die and the old smoosh routine in a vice or press. Stainless is indeed tough, but I told myself about 10 years ago after changing an exhaust for the third time I'd never use plain steel headers or aluminized exhaust pipe again (if I could help it).

Auto Transport Service
Back