• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

tool organization ,Ditch the Peg Board

Pops1967GTX

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:19 PM
Reaction score
I have my mechanics tools stored in the traditional way in Snap on Box.
But I also use Pegboard in the Garage. I have a lot of mechanic's and woodworking tools mounted. Thinking I need a change, Any good Idea's.

I have my mechanics tools stored in the traditional way in Snap on Box.
But I also use Pegboard in the Garage. I have a lot of mechanic's and woodworking tools mounted. Thinking I need a change, Any good Idea's.
Funny you should start this topic Pops....I don't like the idea of a pegboard myself....too many tools, and not enough wall space.

I was out getting new tires on Friday, and the tire guy has a peg board....curiously only two tools missing on that peg board....a long knife and a big hammer. :lol:

I have traditionally just used big tool boxes, and when it's full, I buy another big tool box. now I have a set of sliding drawers in my van, and it is already full. I need to be selective about what I carry for work....as tools and materials are both important.

I think a set of cupboards with sliding drawers for tools I don't use often will work in my garage. While a large mobile tool chest will work for everyday tools around the garage.

Looking forward to other suggestions also. :thumbsup:

upload_2019-10-5_18-16-8.jpeg

I would like to get one of these that is 20ft I see good reviews on them but I’m still skeptical.
Especially if you are used to a snap on box

His kids will still be paying for that one long after he's gone. :)

Instead of a pegboard I bought a bunch of magnet strips from HF.

I got some MDF lockers with formica on them from a demo project a couple years ago.
1'x1' 6' long

I have 6 of them but with this design will only be using 5.

I'm going to stand the end two up 6' apart on the inside and then lay 3 of them down as a shelving unit through the center.

Plan is to mount them into the wall so that they would be recessed and then make up two doors so they would be flush with the wall...

I do a little of everything from under coating removal down to paintwork with a ton of welding and grinding wrapped up in the middle...everything gets dirty and its hard to keep anything clean when it is out laying loose on a shelf or even peg board...

I wanted a taller open area at the bottom to store my jackstands and things like that to get them off of the floor space...

Here's a sketch of the conceptual plan...when finished they would be behind a pair of .040 aluminum doors and just look almost like a closet

image.png

I built a 4 foot by 4 foot by 4" thick cabinet with Plywood doors and a peg board back. I put 1" x 2" furring strips on the back to space it out away from the wall to allow the peg board hooks to go in the peg board. Close the doors and lock it up too..

I built a 4 foot by 4 foot by 4" thick cabinet with Plywood doors and a peg board back. I put 1" x 2" furring strips on the back to space it out away from the wall to allow the peg board hooks to go in the peg board. Close the doors and lock it up too..
Lets see a photo....

IMG_6265.JPG
IMG_6266.JPG
IMG_6267.JPG
IMG_6268.JPG

Did this about 15 years ago... Peg board pre cut as well as the doors. Took about 2 hours from beginning to hanging on the wall.

I am thinking about putting all tools in the spaces between wall studs. Floor to ceiling with the lesser used tools at the very bottom and the very top. Opens up floor space and counter space. I may even swap out 2"x4" studs for 2"x6" studs in one wall so the storage will be deeper. My garage is longer than normal and 12' wide so a wall of cabinets on the end is okay. Winter project. Tired of walking back and forth to the front of the garage for hand tools. Be nice to have them hanging in the center somewhere...will install pull cord operated heavy window shades that I can slide down over the walls to keep dust down. Could stencil on each shade what's behind them...

I always wanted the 4'x8' peg board with all the commonly used tools hanging from it but I have never had any wall space. So all the tool box drawers remain packed with tools.

rsz_20161104_213833.jpg 20161104_213725.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back