• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Top 10 Car Producing Countries 1950 to 2019

What happened in 2001. China took a leap. I don't know my history very well.

Maybe that was the same time the Kia commercial came out with the hamsters driving their cars that took off!! Hahaha!

:thumbsup:

No surprise here...
China has more people, needs more cars.
Now we know why prices for raw materials and fuel to run all those Chinese cars goes up!!

So do they account for mexican built american cars ?

So do they account for mexican built american cars ?

No Mexican car brands I think, so they must be counting where cars are assembled.

Pretty fascinating graphics.

Could do without the "drama music".

Pretty depressing to see the US manufacturing might peter out.

Use that graph to illustrate who's running our businesses & government.

The Obama/Biden years the Chinese really took off
doubled the USA output
2008-2016

What happened was a couple of things; the middle class in China started rapidly expanding so the market for cars increased, plus a lot of the world's manufacturers were setting up over there. SAIC is their largest car company, which means nothing to most people, but it's partnered with more familiar companies. If you buy a Buick (hugely popular in China) or Chevy or Volkswagen over there, those companies are joint venture partnered with SAIC. On the other hand, Jeeps over there are built by GAC Fiat Chrysler.

For a very small country we did pretty well ...until the mid 60s when the Japanese cars came online and suddenly buyers realised you did not need to drive old fashioned, unreliable cars when you could pay less for much better Jap cars....The final nail was the Unions ...they striked more than they worked in the 70s...then they wondered why all the Brit car plants shut down. **** product and too much Union strength does that!

Auto Transport Service
Back