• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Top 10 quickest musclecars of 1969

Definitely dominated by Ma Mopar.

Just curious - did anyone view the 1970 vid? Was the Buick Stage II mentioned? I don't think Stage II came out until 1970 but while I've never been a Buick guy, geez that was a wicked car. Motor Trend I think had the '70 at 13.4 in the 1/4. Seems many of these old awesome rides from the big 3 were considerably underrated. Put a good pair of slicks on them...another story.

I beg to differ.....calling a Corvette a Muscle Car is like calling a rabid coyote a good house pet. :eek:
Yup, I agree. The Corvette was a quick sports car. Wasn't really a straight line warrior like the others.

I beg to differ.....calling a Corvette a Muscle Car is like calling a rabid coyote a good house pet. :eek:
Or a Cobra or sports cars., let alone a Mustang either, it's a Pony Car,
just like Camaro or Firebird etc.

in some crowds even a 67-69 Barracuda or Dart etc., they are a compacts

70 'cuda or 70 Challenger 'is a grey area'
more a Pony Car by the definition

to even fit it in 'the muscle car category' is a stretch

they're not a Muscle Car, by it's org. definition
a muscle car is
a 'midsize' front-engine BB 2 dr sedan/coupe/HT

like the 'midsize 5' from Plymouth or Dodge equivalents :poke:

Last edited:
Or a Cobra or sports cars., let alone a Mustang either, it's a Pony Car,
just like Camaro or Firebird etc.

in some crowds even a 67-69 Barracuda or Dart etc., they are a compacts

70 'cuda or 70 Challenger 'is a grey area'
more a Pony Car by the definition

to even fit it in 'the muscle car category' is a stretch

they're not a Muscle Car, by it's org. definition
a muscle car is
a 'midsize' front-engine BB 2 dr sedan/coupe/HT

like the 'midsize 5' from Plymouth or Dodge equivalents :poke:
I agree with most of what you said but the E cars weren't as small as the Mustangs and Camaros even though they were a bit shorter than the B cars....they were wider.....

I agree with most of what you said but the E cars weren't as small as the Mustangs and Camaros even though they were a bit shorter than the B cars....they were wider.....
They were made for the "Pony wars." Thus I'm afraid they made their bed.

It's hard to debate the exact definition of "Muscle Car." Hell, the term wasn't even used until after the era ended. (In my opinion was 1971. 72's might have an argument. But as a "Purist" point of view? '64-'71.)

If you want to start an argument? Tell a '63 Max Wedge Savoy owner that there car is actually a performance optioned family car. Not a Muscle car. Hopefully you get out without a punch to the mouth? Lol.

Last edited:
They were made for the "Pony wars." Thus I'm afraid they made their bed.

It's hard to debate the exact definition of "Muscle Car." Hell, the term wasn't even used until after the era ended. (I'm my opinion was 1971. 72's might have an argument. But as a "Purist" point of view? '64-'71.)

If you want to start an argument? Tell a '63 Max Wedge Savoy owner that there car is actually a performance optioned family car. Not a Muscle car. Hopefully you get out without a punch to the mouth? Lol.
The criteria the "American Muscle Car Club of New Zealand" uses is 1961-71, 4 BBL (minimum), V8, stock configuration and recognised Muscle Car body style, to be considered for FULL membership.

MO, it can be stretched & flexed – the fastest “cars”? It is what it is describing. As posted, the ‘muscle car’ handle came much later and by some folk’s definition wouldn’t include full size cars either following the debatable 1st muscle car as the ’64 GTO. Aha – it was putting a big motor in a mid-size car. Ok, well Dodge/Plymouth downsized their cars to mid-size in ’62 originally planned as full-size until shrinking them. Rumor has it to compete with Chevy Nova. So in ’62 there was the 413 and in ’63 the 426 engines stuffed in these cars. These were not brought out before the ’64 goat…lol.

The criteria the "American Muscle Car Club of New Zealand" uses is 1961-71, 4 BBL (minimum), V8, stock configuration and recognised Muscle Car body style, to be considered for FULL membership.
All three members agreed on that definition?? :rolleyes:
____
Seriously though...how many members?

Founding member cars in 1986 were (but not limited to) - 1970 Plymouth GTX (inaugural President), 1962 Chevy 409 bubble top, 1966 Chevy Impala SS 427, 1969 Shelby CobraJet Mustang 428, 1962/3 Chevy Biscayne 409, another BB Mustang with factory shaker....

I joined in late 1986 - with my '70 Road Runner.

While towing the BBQ trailer up north to a weekend drag meet in 1988, I left behind the CJ Mustang and the SS Impala at 140 mph - they were side-by-side racing each other fully tapped out at 130 mph.

MO, it can be stretched & flexed – the fastest “cars”? It is what it is describing. As posted, the ‘muscle car’ handle came much later and by some folk’s definition wouldn’t include full size cars either following the debatable 1st muscle car as the ’64 GTO. Aha – it was putting a big motor in a mid-size car. Ok, well Dodge/Plymouth downsized their cars to mid-size in ’62 originally planned as full-size until shrinking them. Rumor has it to compete with Chevy Nova. So in ’62 there was the 413 and in ’63 the 426 engines stuffed in these cars. These were not brought out before the ’64 goat…lol.
Some believe it goes back farther than that. Some believing the '49 Olds Rocket 88? Again, it's really one interpretation and opinion. I personally believe the 1964 GTO was the first muscle car. Purposely built as "Working man's sports car." But most importantly? There were no lower optioned GTO. Just as with RoadRunner/GTX. Superbee, Old 442. There were no 6cyl or 4-door options. It was "Muscle" or Bust with these mid-size cars. (Yes, there are always some discrepancies in any rule in general.)

There surely is some gray area with the term muscle car. I like Steve Magnante’s twist on it; self-aware muscle car.

He uses that term for the first ‘67 GTX and R/T, 64 GTO, etc., cars that “knew” they were muscle cars. It’s essentially the marketing angle. A high option 66 426 HEMI Satellite is every bit the same muscle car as a 67 HEMI GTX, it just didn’t know it was a muscle car, lol. But it’s still a muscle car. Just like a 63 MW B body.

Auto Transport Service
Back