• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Top Of Dash Paint?

dodge68charger

Local time
10:19 PM
Reaction score
Dont Want a Reflection From The Sun..

Semi Gloss, Matte, Satin, Or a Flat Paint Best?

Still Want It To Look Good But Not Too Shiny

Search the topic.......tons of stuff and ideas on here on it. Many ways to get the look.
:thumbsup:

I went with Instrument Specialties suede lacquer. It is the correct factory finish, but it is difficult to spray and very expensive. I paid $99.00/pint for color about 4 years ago. I see where it's $249.00/pint now for color and $200.00 for black.
If I were doing it again, I would go with single stage & a flattening agent, or base coat body color with satin clear. I did the bc/satin cc on a truck dash years ago and it looked great and held up well.

$249.00 for a pint of color? Jeez Louise! That's extorsion! I agree that all you have to use
is some flattener and your good! Thanks for the credit report on Instrument Specialties!

PPG doesn’t make the Duracryl laquer anymore.
The guy selling it for 250 a pint has some old stock.

My PPG jobber mixed some special formula he has for a Mopar resto shop. It’s Shopline basecoat with a texture or suede. No clear needed since it’s interior. I think it was maybe $35 for the pint.
1568B09A-FF55-4A6E-BD97-94EFA15B8274.jpeg
0BA80125-BAE4-4E7E-A844-D00913B0C70F.jpeg

If you need black I would use PPG trim black in aerosol. The last coat give a dry dusting and it will create that suede finish. SXA9000

John Deere Blitz Black. Rattle can. 3 years on the Coronet and still looks good. Has a slight texture.

IMG_1867.JPG IMG_1868.JPG

I’m getting ready to spray my dash and was just gonna spray it satin black with a coat of clear or two to protective it

I used ppg hot rod black with ppg dx1999 texture additive, 1 oz per of dx1999 per un mixed quart. Worked well

Satin black, if you clear obviously use matte clear. I’ve had gloss dashes before and never had to big of an issue. Throw on some polarized sunners and there won’t be any glare! Lol

I used SEM Landau Black. It is the OEM color Mopar used for dash bezels. As to the dash top, it is not too shiny and not too dull. SEM is the only supplier. About $15 for a spray can. Can also be purchased in quarts and gallons and then shot. I bought a quart on Epay.

ok can somebody please shed some light on my stupid interior colors??? fender tag is T7 for interior got that, my question is the metal part of the dash is a brown, but what brown? I`ve two different interior paint charts for 1969, both are different, so I`m lost. got my dash apart and no idea where or what to get for painting it. thanks

Our own Leanna from Phoenix Speciality Coatings did my daughters dash. Absolutely flawless, and even did the ashtray. Top notch work, and of course very reasonably priced!

F21783BA-ECFB-467E-BA48-6242318D7694.jpeg 0B3B94B1-A7CD-43F3-9612-3D4942302F9C.jpeg A9AD9D77-9FB5-4371-BE95-DBA2997A3212.jpeg 13FAA9AA-67BC-4FF2-95AD-93B0E80EAC0F.jpeg

ok can somebody please shed some light on my stupid interior colors??? fender tag is T7 for interior got that, my question is the metal part of the dash is a brown, but what brown? I`ve two different interior paint charts for 1969, both are different, so I`m lost. got my dash apart and no idea where or what to get for painting it. thanks

The correct finish is suede, the color is Chestnut Poly & the Ditzler code is 22754

Screen Shot 2020-01-05 at 7.08.55 PM.png

If you have the shop manual, the codes are in section 23. (this is a 1969 example)
upload_2020-1-5_20-19-37.png

The first numbers are Chrysler codes, the second are Ditzler.

I used SEM Landau Black. It is the OEM color Mopar used for dash bezels. As to the dash top, it is not too shiny and not too dull. SEM is the only supplier. About $15 for a spray can. Can also be purchased in quarts and gallons and then shot. I bought a quart on Epay.
This is exactly the same stuff I have done three dashes with. Looks great and is easy to clean.
I also use it on all the plastic interior parts along with a product called sand free for adhesion.

Auto Transport Service
Back