• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Torqflt A904 Issues?!!???

Moparfiend

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:12 PM
Reaction score
Hey guys thanks for reading this thread and any help you provide. I am resurrecting my newly acquired basket case. Bubba was the last owner unfortunately and I have no history of the car but it was sitting for apparently 4-5 years now.
It has the stock 318 engine that I am working on but the trans linkage was disconnected for some unknown reason. The steering column was unbolted from the support bracket inside the car for some reason. The ignition lock was jammed and I replaced the the cylinder lock, bolted the column up and hooked the shifter linkage up to the trans but the rear wheels and driveshaft spin free in all gears as well as park. I verified that the drive shaft was connected to the tail shaft and moved the trans gear selector to all positions and the rear wheels move free.

Any idea on what else I can look at to determine the issue/cause? I am more of a 4spd guy and know little about the TQFLT or any auto trans for that matter......

Thanks again MF

Wow, can you hear any clicks when moving the shifter? Park rod not connected inside? Might be time to drop the trans pan for a look-see. Bubba must have had some fun!

The shifter clicks at each stop and I can feel it as well. What is a park rod?

It pushes the park pawl into the output shaft to lock it in to prevent the driveshaft from turning. You probably won't hear it moving. Sure sounds like it's time to drop the trans pan. Park rod has a c-clip on it to hold it on valve body in trans, may have come off, although I never heard of such a thing.

It pushes the park pawl into the output shaft to lock it in to prevent the driveshaft from turning. You probably won't hear it moving. Sure sounds like it's time to drop the trans pan. Park rod has a c-clip on it to hold it on valve body in trans, may have come off, although I never heard of such a thing.
Thanks oldbee

Get yourself a factory service manual/ or download one. A wealth of info.

Ok, so this may be as simple as a linkage adjustment issue AND my extreme ignorance. I was able to manually push the park detent lever on the trans itself with the shift linkage disconnected. When I did this it locked up the drive shaft as I would expect and was hoping for. So this could be a simple adjustment issue.

No for my ignorance when the car is in Park the drive shaft is locked and does not move HOWEVER the rear wheels move opposite each other. Is this correct? (when in gear they move together as I would expect).

I know this is really basic stuff but this is my first time with automatics.

Sounds like you have an ' open ' rear-end, not a sure-grip. Sorry I usually think "posi"; either way, the car won't roll back&forth with park rod locked in.It's all semantics on a locking rear-end. NOW real "rear-ends" are a whole different matter, if you know what I mean!

Sounds like you have an ' open ' rear-end, not a sure-grip. Sorry I usually think "posi"; either way, the car won't roll back&forth with park rod locked in.It's all semantics on a locking rear-end. NOW real "rear-ends" are a whole different matter, if you know what I mean!
I been driving since the 70's and the term posi and limited slip differentials were common place but I am not aware of "open" and I am assuming that this operation is ok and proper for the rear end that I might have correct? I am sure its the stock rear end like a 2.73 or some such ratio for highway cruising. I just need to know if this is the correct operation and if so I can look at fixing either the linkage or god help me the steering column (slop?).

An open rear end will have the tires moving in opposite directions like what you are explaining. It is also reffered to as a peg leg or one tire fire (only one tire spins when you burnout. Hopefully this explains it a little for you. Good luck with the trans!! Mike

Thanks Mike

So for this set up A904 and a one fire tire then in park this is correct.

If so it looks like I need to look at the shift linkage and or the steering column. I do feel slop and its not that way from the trans as thats tight.

Yes, it sounds like the linkage on the transmission is working properly. I would look for worn bushings in the linkage from the column down to it. It may be as simple as re adjusting the linkage to the transmission arm. Unfortunatley you never know what you inherited. I had to drop my valvebody and bend the arm inside to get mine to work.

Yes, it sounds like the linkage on the transmission is working properly. I would look for worn bushings in the linkage from the column down to it. It may be as simple as re adjusting the linkage to the transmission arm. Unfortunatley you never know what you inherited. I had to drop my valvebody and bend the arm inside to get mine to work.
Thanks 74GX yes I have no clue what Bubba did but everything he had done I am undoing to get things right. I am learning as I go but hey that's the fun of restoration and hobby car work and why I bought this basket case. Hopefully when I am done it will be something I am proud of.....

Auto Transport Service
Back