• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Torque Box info

SRT_Blubyu

Local time
4:24 PM
Reaction score
Maybe you all can help me out.. I'm seeing a lot of references to torque boxes.. do any of you know which cars had them and where are they located? Seems like a lot of 318 cars suddely with Hemis these days..

Just google them with a particular car and look at images.

My ‘70 Charger, 440 Six Pack 4 speed Dana doesn’t have them. My ‘70 ‘Cuda with identical driveline does.

Generally speaking they were installed on the high end performance models...440/6, Hemi and all convertible (regardless of motor). The torque boxes were up near the front where the frame rails come under the firewall/floor, and in the rear around the front spring perch attachment area.

There are reproductions available, but the ones I've seen are not exact reproductions...close and to the casual inspection they look fine and probably function better than the OEM units due to thicker metal being used.

Generally speaking they were installed on the high end performance models...440/6, Hemi and all convertible (regardless of motor). The torque boxes were up near the front where the frame rails come under the firewall/floor, and in the rear around the front spring perch attachment area.

There are reproductions available, but the ones I've seen are not exact reproductions...close and to the casual inspection they look fine and probably function better than the OEM units due to thicker metal being used.
I've heard that some 440 4-speed cars had them as well. My 69 Road Runner convertible had them, but my 69 Charger R/T 4-speed did not.

Anyone that would seriously race these cars should tie the frames. That’s a mod that I’d appreciate.

My 68 GTX Convertible has them, or should I say had them before the rustbugs took over. There are frame connectors and torque boxes from US Car Tool that are more HD than the oem, 1/8" steel (heavier than original) and custom stamped but not a reproduction. For the closest to a factory reproduction find RestoRick Restorations by Rick Kreuziger and take a look at his, they are the closest that I have been able to find.

Auto Transport Service
Back