• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Torque converter advise

440RUSH

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:53 AM
Reaction score
Hey guys need some advice or information.I have a 73 charger with a 440 stroked to 493 that's making around 500 hp. I have in at a friends shop with torque converter problems.Turns out I have a 6 bolt converter, but I have an 8 bolt flex plate. My friend talked to a local transmission shop that does a lot of race applications and said I need a 8 bolt torque converter. They said I needed a converter from a hemi which would be almost impossible to find. But the shop could build one for around $1200. Just wondered if this price seemed reasonable or should I try to find an 8 bolt converter ? Thanks for any information or advice.

First thing is you cvan have a converter built for approximately $600.00, what I think you have is an 8 bolt crank which requires a Flex plate for Converters with 7/16 Bolts which where used on Hemi's and some converted six pack motors. From my experience try calling Frank Lupo from Dynamic Converter in Delware for help. he is an expert on the subject. Another potential Help is from Richard Ehrenberg from Mopar magazine. You can look him up and email him for any advise on finding a converter. Another choice is getting a rebuilt converter from Transtar for approximately $ 300.00, which will give you a stock 17K 2100 RPM converter.

Sounds like to me, they're going to lighten your billfold!! We use PTC and highly recommend them. They're more friendly than where you went to

First thing is you cvan have a converter built for approximately $600.00

You Bet! I have a PTC converter, built for my application, running almost 150 more HP than you and it was right around $650 bucks shipped. I'd get a hold of a reputable tranny establishment like Coan, PTC, Dynamic or like the fella Snake Oil mentioned, fill out one of their very specific tech sheet's to get a converter dialed in perfect for your application. Don't buy one off the shelf, especially with the HP #'s and Stroker $$$ you're talking. I'd guess you'll be paying quite a bit cheaper than that $1200 mark.

Like the others said, the 8 vs 6 bolt is a flex plate deal. The flex plate bolts to the crank, 6 bolts for normal 440 cranks, 8 bolts for Hemi or some aftermarket cranks. Stick with a reputable brand like those mentioned, Dynamic, Coan, maybe Turbo Action. I had great luck with my Coan converter from years ago 600 HP drag only car. I currently have a 10" Turbo Action behind my 500" street/strip setup (came with the car). Worked good so far. Get one built for your particular combination & use from one of the guys mentioned.

Thanks for the information. I'll look into the shops you suggested. I thought $1200 was a little steep too.

Auto Transport Service
Back