• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Torque converter balance question

dan juhasz

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:01 AM
Reaction score
Customer of mine has a 65 Satellite. Current engine is a 73 (?) 440 with the original 65 727 cable shift trans. I will be installing a 69 727 trans. On his current set up the converter has a balance weight. The 69 trans that is going in has no balance weight, besides buying a new converter for the 69 with a weight is there a cheaper work around? Can a weight be purchased and welded to 69 converter? Can a different flex plate be purchased that has the option of adding a weight or leaving it off? Does anyone know how many grams the Mopar balance weight on the converter is?
Thanks

I just went through this exact same issue on my 65 Satellite with a 73 motor home 440. You can either take the weight off the old converter and weld it to the new one in the same location, or you can get the flex plate mentioned above and run a converter with no weights on it. You should have either a large trapezoid shaped 100 gram weight or 2 50 gram rectangular weights. Search my recent torque converter thread for more details.

Last edited:
Cut the weight off the old converter and weld it on the new one in the same spot. Done 0 $

Cut the weight off the old converter and weld it on the new one in the same spot. Done 0 $
I would worry about the carbonized transmission fluid from welding heat causing isssues.
Mike

The B&M plate is super tough and will last forever, no matter how many converters end up behind it. You'll never have to move weights again.

The B&M plate is super tough and will last forever, no matter how many converters end up behind it. You'll never have to move weights again.
If you end up changing converters again,, that's the time to fire a new flexplate in it.
Right now it looks like 46 seconds of welding will resolve the issue :thumbsup:

If you end up changing converters again,, that's the time to fire a new flexplate in it.
Right now it looks like 46 seconds of welding will resolve the issue :thumbsup:

So people should re-use a converter of perhaps unknown mileage and quality after welding on it, but not a SFI flex plate?

I guess we all have our preferences.

So people should re-use a converter of perhaps unknown mileage and quality after welding on it, but not a SFI flex plate?

I guess we all have our preferences.
Nope, you're right. That would be my preference.. :thumbsup:

I was thinking of another thread where everything was assembled. Thanks for catching that

Auto Transport Service
Back