• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Torque converter bolts rounded off. What are my options?

funknut

Local time
6:51 AM
Reaction score
440 with 727. Trying to separate engine and trans. 2 of the torque converter to flex plate bolts are starting to round over. They are in there pretty tight, as you would hope. :)

Not much room in there to get a ratchet. I will keep at it, but if they end up rounded off what are my options? Torque converter is getting replaced, so I don't mind hitting it with some heat if that's not dangerous. Only other thing I can think of is to cut the flexplate?

Any help appreciated, thanks!

Can you use a cutoff wheel on a die grinder and cut the heads off?
If the convertor is of no use, cut em off! You can also just pull the trans and leave the convertor on the flex plate.

They make good rounded off nut removers, can't remember the brand, but auto stores have them. Socket w teeth in it

Weld a big nut to the existing bolt... The heat will help but having a bigger hex to put a wrench on is what you need...

Great suggestions guys thanks. I hadn’t thought to weld a nut on, I will give that a shot next.

Weld a big nut to the existing bolt... The heat will help but having a bigger hex to put a wrench on is what you need...

They may have been installed with loctite and some heat will help remove them. If they do round off, weld a nut (through the inside / threaded part of the nut) to the bolt as mentioned above.

Also try grinding the "down" side of the wrench flat to eliminate the rounded entry angles. That will provide more contact between bolt and wrench.
Mike

Thanks all. I was using a tubing wrench, I don’t have an offset 6-pointer that can get in there. I can try flattening the side of the wrench first, good tip!

Don't leave convertor on engine and remove probably damage pump bushing. Owner of my car pull engine with converter on messed pump bushing.

I made own torque converter bolt wrench. Six point socket ground down flat(remove chamfer) & height to fit and welded to home made handle. My handle is about 10" long for working under car.

20200530_124628.jpg 20200530_124641.jpg

Easy get a snap on FDX socket. They are amazing for rounded bolts or flank drive plus wrench

They make good rounded off nut removers, can't remember the brand, but auto stores have them. Socket w teeth in it

I have a high quality set of these and I can only think of once that they have actually worked for me, but welding on a nut has pretty much never failed.

Why not use a 6 point socket?

I can get a short socket on the bolt but no room for the ratchet. Might be able to make room if I remove the oil pan, but the engine and trans are in the k-frame on a heavy duty dolly, so not a lot of room to maneuver.

The custom wrench above looks like it might do the trick!

The bolts were already a bit rounded before I got to them. They look like hardware store bolts, so not sure what kind of luck I'll have.

Success!

Thanks everyone for the tips. My last ditch attempt before welding a nut on was to heat a 6-point wrench to put enough of an S bend in it to get it to sit as flat as possible against the flex plate. I ground the side flat as well and the combination worked great.

:thumbsup::luvplace:

I can get a short socket on the bolt but no room for the ratchet. Might be able to make room if I remove the oil pan, but the engine and trans are in the k-frame on a heavy duty dolly, so not a lot of room to maneuver.

The custom wrench above looks like it might do the trick!

The bolts were already a bit rounded before I got to them. They look like hardware store bolts, so not sure what kind of luck I'll have.
My homemade wrench also minimizes the chance of rounding the bolt during install. Press the socket tight against the flex plate to keep iy properly engaged.

Heat the shank of the 6 point wrench and bend it to the optimum angle. Then a little heat on the bolt or converter. Heat always helps with locktite. Get the wrench to fit. Wedge a pry bar or screw driver between the block and wrench to hold it tight against the bolt. Then smack the wrench with a hammer. The shock will break it loose.
Doug

Auto Transport Service
Back