• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Torque converter clearance

Mackman

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:46 PM
Reaction score
I’m putting my rebuilt 440 engine to my rebuilt 727 and new torque converter. There seems to be no clearance between the flex plate and converter. The converter lugs measure a tight 1/2” recessed from the face of the transmission housing. The flex plate surface is about 1/2” out from the block face. I bolted them together with no difficulty, but pulled them apart after seeing no clearance. Should I ground some off the converter lugs?

try turning your converter in the trans , it might not be all the way in the pump teeth and the spline all have to line up , just turn one way and the other while pushing in lightly and it should drop in a little more

The converter first engages the shaft splines and then bottoms out. Then Rotate and push until it goes all the way in. You want to make sure the TQ is properly seated or you will damage the transmission pump

Sounds likely you did not have the torque converter seated completely.
This is very important and the bad news is I don't think you can fix it when they are bolted up together.
If I'm just putting in a transmission with an engine in the car I get the converter seated then put a beam clamp in front of it so it doesn't slide forward while jostling it up in there.

image.jpg
Wiggle, push, rotate, won’t go any farther. Here’s what I have.

That looks about right? but the tabs for the bolts do stick out more than I'm used to seeing.
Do you need to flip over the flexplate? is there an offset in it?

Offset on the flex plate is already maximized away from the trans.

I would call Larry at Keene Automotive in Webster.
He knows much more than I do.

I'm not sure there is a problem. The parts are made to bolt up together. Was there interference or pressure when bolting them up? I don't think an improperly seated convertor would let the block mate to the trans without binding up. How much clearance are you needing??

It ended up with there being just enough clearance that the converter and flex plate didn’t rub. All together and moving forward.

If you used the bell bolts to pull it in you had better have the pump inspected. If it went flush to the block on its own you should be ok. When it was bolted up would the converter spin? If not it has to come apart.

Auto Transport Service
Back