• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Torque Converter on Numbers Matching Build

Go Fly

Local time
12:37 AM
Reaction score
Restoring a 70 numbers matching Challenger. Auto 727 trans numbers match also. Tranny shop can send my converter out for rebuild or simply exchange for same. Is there a reason keeping the original one? Exchange will save a couple hundred bucks because of the back and forth shipping.

Have you driven the car? Did it work ok, does the hub look good, was there metal in the ATF? Drain the converter and see what comes out.

I like to reuse the originals if good. But I rebuild my own trans so I don’t get played by the “warranty is void if you don’t get a converter also”.

Last edited:
What motor? An OEM convertor generally holds up very well, unless high HP and extreme use. If no signs of major metal in the pan, the convertor is probably good. A good flush is most likely what it would need.

Auto Transport Service
Back