• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Torque converter question....400 to 440 cast crank

dsd1967

Local time
6:31 AM
Reaction score
I have a 78 transmission that was behind a cast crank 440 and the torque converter has the trapezoidal shaped counterweights. I'm planning to put this transmission behind a 73 cast crank 400 and wanted to use the same torque converter as I understand the 400 is also externally balanced.

Will the 78 440 torque converter work or was the cast crank 73 400 balanced with a different set of weights? I've been surfing around trying to find out, and the best I can find is that Rockauto lists the same part number for a 400 and 440 in 78.....but it is a different torque converter number than the one listed for a 73 400.

Anyone out there with a torque converter interchange listing?

Thanks
Dave

At one time I had. a cast crank 400 pickup that burned up the trans badly, it was FULL of metal. I installed a known good used 440 cast crank converter in it and it was nice and smooth with no vibrations.

I've swapped these converters around before as the best I've been able to tell if you stay cast to cast you'll be ok. To cross with steel, like the others have said you either have to add or remove weights depending on which way your going. I also remember on the small weights I think there was one on each side of the drain plug.

I think you guys are correct.

I did a little more searching after I posted and found one site said that said Mopar went from two square weights to the single butterfly weight in 1977 but there was no model year break to tell where one is used over the other. That indicated to me that they were interchangeable. Then I found that 440 source lists a B&M flexplate that allows the use of a neutral balance converter and it lists cast crank 400 & 440 from 73-78. If one off balance flex plate fits all...then that is the second indicator that the 400 and 440 cast crank torque converters are interchangeable.

Between your guys comments and what I found, I'm confident I can run the converter I have in the 400.

Thanks!
Dave

Auto Transport Service
Back