• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Torque Converter Shudder??

TLH101

Local time
7:05 PM
Reaction score
I have a '63 Dodge 330 with a push button 727 transmission. I have recently notice some slight vibrations between 10-20 mph when accelerating. Only happens when the trans is warm, and not always.
I recently changed out the fluid and filter. I refilled with Valvoline DEX/MERC, which states for Dexron III. The shudder/vibrations started a couple hundred miles after the fluid change.
Could this be torque converter shudder, and what is the best way to go about curing the issue?

20210827_114315.jpg

First thing I would check is U joints or motor / transmission mounts and make sure before you get into torque converter.
P.S. Awesome wagon by the way

Generally non lock-up converters dont cause a shutter. Now lock-up converters can and have as they have a clutch in them and it can feel like a clutch vibration. I am guessing you dont have a newer lock-up trans in your car ?? Make sure also its not an ign miss at times. Ron

Throw in a tube of Anti-Shudder - probably about $20 from the local parts store. One of my mates reckons the auto trans shops use heaps of the stuff.

It's not going to hurt anything if it doesn't fix the issue.

Completely drain and refill with ATF+4 . Are you telling the whole story though? Original, unrebuilt trans ?

Auto Transport Service
Back