• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Torque settings on 383 engine

Steven Bowers

Local time
12:28 AM
Reaction score
I want to remove my intake manifold, water pump and valve covers off my 69 Charger 383 engine for cleaning and repaint…..are there bolt torque settings on these 3 items when putting them back on or do I just snug them up….. thanks to all for your input….

Definitely a torque setting on the intake and a tightening sequence. The others have torque settings, but to avoid vacuum leaks the intake is critical.

But think about how many that didn't torque the intake when swapping them out back in the day lol. Yeah...don't remember what the torque settings are but probably around 35 foot lbs? Looking up in a chart for the bolt size will put you pretty close. I did a lot of work on them in the early days and never used a torque wrench until I assembled a complete engine and starting looking up the numbers and remember being somewhat surprised at what the torque was for the head bolts lol. It's really important to 'sneak up' on items with multiple bolts too. Heads gets tied down in 3 waves. Snug, half tight, then full tight. Intakes are the same way and same with the water pump even though the water pump probably can go half way tight in the first sequence.

Cast iron intake or Aluminum intake ?
Torque settings are different between the two.
40# for cast iron and 25# for aluminum.
Need to get you a service manual for your car because it shows all torque settings needed.
I think I remember you can download a pdf manual on line but don’t know the link.

Thanks, cast iron intake….and water pump….
Do you have relatives in Texas or Georgia....or New Mexico? Anyways, my kin folk are all over the place including NC lol

Auto Transport Service
Back