• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Torquing TTi header bolts HA!

1962savoy

Local time
11:15 AM
Reaction score
I just put on a set of 2"-2 1/8 stepped headers on my 62 Savoy and they tell you to torque down the header bolts to 35 lbs HAHAHAHAHA! What a joke!! I cant even hardly see the bolts not alone get a torque wrench on them.
What am I going to do???? I'm open to any suggestions!!

I know the feeling! Here is what I do in these situations - torque one of the bolts that you have access to. Or, if there aren't any at all, find an alternator bolt/ dist hold down bolt that is the same size. Then, put an open end wrench or whatever you are going to use on that torqued bolt to get the feel for how tight the 35 foot pounds feels. Then go around and do the rest to your calibrated hand!

Really it's not too critical for exact torque numbers on these header bolts, the torque they gave you is a good one to make sure you don't go banannas on it and strip threads.

Header bolts are something I've never used a torque wrench on. If you have iron heads I would personally crank them on to a couple of good grunts! 35# seems light even for aluminum heads.

How was getting on the #2 passenger side header bolt?
Sucked pretty good , any cut up knuckles?

OH YA smashed up the knuckles pretty good, but what do they say: no scares no story!
That #2 was a pain in the hand, but I managed to get them all fairly tight and I'll have to go over them again in 50 miles or so. The driver side is no-problem at all but the passenger side.... @#$!!$#%# WHEW!! I learned a few new words in that act!

Header Bolts

I put TTI's on my 440 with Eddy heads in my 65 Satellite--#2 is the worst--but got a 3/8 ratcheting box end in there and tightened as best I could. Oh yeah, after one season, had a leak. Bought 3-ply (aluminum-copper-aluminum) gaskets and stage 8 fastener locks. No leaks, no loosening, no problems; and I never measured torque on the header bolts.

Tighten the bolts until you feel they are snug enough to seal against the gasket, but use LOCKING fasteners. Locking header bolts will never back out, no matter how much heat and vibration is applied to them. Stage8 is a great company, and NO I don't work for them in any way :D Just an idea, hope it helps you out...

Link: http://www.stage8.com/perfauto.html

Auto Transport Service
Back