• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Torsion bar adjustment

GRAY WILSON

Local time
8:18 AM
Reaction score
I would like to raise the front of my 68 GTX. Can someone help with info or advice about adjusting the front end using Torsion bar?

There is a bolt in the middle of the lower control arm. Tightening or loosening this bolt(the torsion bar adjuster) will raise or lower the front end. Remember same number of turns on each one.

All the above plus if you move it much you will want to check the camber.

Yep, if you move it much, you will be attending the front end alignment shop soon.

Thanks for all the reply's. I only want to raise it about 1 to 2". Do you know how many turns that would take?

Thanks for all the reply's. I only want to raise it about 1 to 2". Do you know how many turns that would take?
There were both fine and coarse thread adjusting bolts, so that will determine how many turns. Get the weight off the front of the car and turn each side in 4 complete turns in for starters. Drop it down and bounce the front end and roll the car a bit, or start it up and drive up and down your driveway a couple of times. Then remeasure to see what happened. Ideally if you are raising it that much, a guy should loosen the lower control arm pivot nuts first.

Factory Service Manual is the best place for detailed instructions for questions like this, and others.

In the suspension section. Keep in mind, ride height is an alignment specification. Set before caster and camber. It is set by the suspension, NOT fender wheelwell height, or fender top edge height.

On my 63 Plymouth 4 complete turns CW will raise the car 1.5". Should give you an idea. Measure from the garage floor to the fender lip directly through the center of the wheel. I've found that bouncing the front end on my car doesn't do it. I drive it around the block and then recheck height. Wheels pointed straight ahead. And yes, it's a pain, but do put it on jackstands before adjusting.

With all due respect. Don't use fender lip measurements. Sheetmetal is not a suspension alignment specification.

With all due respect. Don't use fender lip measurements. Sheetmetal is not a suspension alignment specification.
Same respect shown here. If the car is absolutely factory original down to the tire size and air pressure then by all means set the suspension height just like the manual says. Never said it was an alignment specification; only that it was a good way to judge how much you are lowering or raising the front end of your car. Different strokes for different folks...lol.

Glad you clarified that. I had to explain that difference on another site about setting ride height with a tape measure from the ground to the fender. True that it is a way some people may do it, but people need to know that that is not the correct/factory way to do it. The procedure is in all FSM's in the suspension section and will affect the alignment settings on the front end. An alignment is adjusted by making changes to the suspension parts, not by measuring body parts.

Glad you clarified that. I had to explain that difference on another site about setting ride height with a tape measure from the ground to the fender. True that it is a way some people may do it, but people need to know that that is not the correct/factory way to do it. The procedure is in all FSM's in the suspension section and will affect the alignment settings on the front end. An alignment is adjusted by making changes to the suspension parts, not by measuring body parts.

I stand by what I said. I wasn't telling him how to correctly set his ride height, that's what the FSM is for; only how to judge how much a turn of the bolt raises or lowers the car...again, lol.

The FSM is gonna tell him how to set the ride height to factory specs, measuring the difference between 2 points, etc.

No need for that if adjusting to desired height.

I just get some of the weight off, then turn as stated equal turns (same way, both sides).

About a inch and you may skate on the alignment.

At 2, you're very likely to need it set.

If you do go for an alignment, make sure to discuss what you did and what you want/don't want done as "the book" has step one of the alignment process as returning the ride height to factory spec, which will likely undo what you just did.

That's usually an awkward conversation. Also make sure the person you talk to actually communicates that info to the person working on the car.

Auto Transport Service
Back