• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Torsion bar install

Beavis

Local time
11:21 AM
Reaction score
is there any tricks to installing my torsion bars in my B body ?

any specific steps ?

Make sure Left and Right, install boot seal, loosen bolt all the way, grease up the ends, slide em in!

I've never seen a bar install that easily on a fresh restoration, so there's got to be something he's not telling to be able to get a 45 year old one out like that.

I've never seen a bar install that easily on a fresh restoration, so there's got to be something he's not telling to be able to get a 45 year old one out like that.

My 68 came out without any special tools. Of course it had been in storage since 84 and was well cared for by the original owner. Since I was disassembling everything I removed the bolt that bolts the LCA to the K-Frame and just pryed between the LCA and K-Frame and the torsion bar popped right out the back of the crossmember.

Since I was disassembling everything I removed the bolt that bolts the LCA to the K-Frame and just pryed between the LCA and K-Frame and the torsion bar popped right out the back of the crossmember.

That's typically how I remove them, but it's never as easy as the video shows because the hex ends are generally crudded up with dried up grease, dirt, rust & undercoating. In the video, he says to take the tension off adjuster bolt, loosen the 15/16 nut, tap it a couple times & you can pull the bar out with two fingers. Maybe they can come out like that in a random barn find CA car, but the other 99.9% just don't.

I have never got them to come out that easy either even after cleaning both sockets.

Make sure you've got left/right and front/back correct. I've heard that if a bar has been twisted one direction all it's life it won't like going the other way and there's definitely two different left & right part numbers (not sure exactly why though, except maybe to keep them identified)

Make sure you've got left/right and front/back correct. I've heard that if a bar has been twisted one direction all it's life it won't like going the other way and there's definitely two different left & right part numbers (not sure exactly why though, except maybe to keep them identified)
The bar are made of twisted strands of almost motlen steel that are shaped in a big press untill cool enough to retain shape. One bar twisted clockwise the other counter clockwise. You can see the twist if you get to observe one that has snapped.

Doesn't matter front or back as long as its R and L

Doesn't matter front or back as long as its R and L

Hmmm..... if I had a driver's side bar that twists counter-clockwise as the suspension compresses....... and I turn that bar around front/back........ then it will now twist clockwise.

How do you tell the front from the back?

Original bars do not have an L and R on them and the used the same part number for both sides. I suggest to many of our customers to mark the ends of their torsion bars prior to removal with either an L & R or put a P or D. On our 1.03 bars that we sell we actually had the forge put an L and R on the pairs even though they are the same with out memory. But we do this in cases where the bars are removed down the line.

Did you happen to label the bars upon removal.

Thanks
James

Wow, this is way cool ~ what else ?

Original bars do not have an L and R on them and the used the same part number for both sides. I suggest to many of our customers to mark the ends of their torsion bars prior to removal with either an L & R or put a P or D. On our 1.03 bars that we sell we actually had the forge put an L and R on the pairs even though they are the same with out memory. But we do this in cases where the bars are removed down the line.

Did you happen to label the bars upon removal.

Thanks
James
This is taken from the 72 FSM
The torsion bars are not interchangeable side for side. The bars are marked either right of left by an "R" or an "L" stamped on the end of bar. 1972 Chassis Service Manual section 2-6.
You care to explain that away?

Auto Transport Service
Back