• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

torsion bar installation

peakandscoot

Local time
3:08 AM
Reaction score
I need to install torsion bars in my 62 Fury. Can anyone tell me if there is anything special i need to do. I was planning on adjusting the lower control arms to the lowest position then sliding in the the bars then installing the retainers. Once in lower the car to the ground and adjust the height. I didn't take them out and have never put them in. Is there something else i should do also do i need to grease either side when putting them in?

You preload the adjusters to the half way point before lowering the car. Don't try to adjust them up with the weight of the car on them.

I need to install torsion bars in my 62 Fury. Can anyone tell me if there is anything special i need to do. I was planning on adjusting the lower control arms to the lowest position then sliding in the the bars then installing the retainers. Once in lower the car to the ground and adjust the height. I didn't take them out and have never put them in. Is there something else i should do also do i need to grease either side when putting them in?
:popcorn:

Grease/antiseize on both ends. If ur not saving the old ones, visegrips clamped tight & hammer away. Also a couple days of soaking with penetrating oil before you start.

When i said i didn't take them out i meant they were already out when i started. I have since replaced all the bushings and all the suspension pieces were powdercoated. I have everything assembled back together with the exception of installing the torsion bars

Are all the bushings etc tight? If so, loosen them before installing the bars and then lower the car to ride height and then tighten everything up.

I bought new 1.15 torsion bars from Bergman Auto Craft 2 years ago. They are significantly larger than stock bars so Peter had a few tips. I don't know if they differ from installing stock ones though I suspect they probably do because ....Thicker bars are stiffer and they do not twist as easy as smaller bars:
Make sure the LCA mounting pin nut is not tightened.
Have lower control arms at approximately the position that they will be with the car resting on the pavement. place the adjustment "finger" of the LCA hex level...not hanging down or pointing up but dead level. Grease each end of the bar with Mopar long fiber stringy grease, install bar from the rear anchor. When bar approaches the LCA hex, if needed, rotate hex by allowing "finger" to drop, not raise until the bar lines up with the hex. Knock the bar fully into place, install spring tension clips, grease boots.
Place car on pavement, adjust LCA screw to set ride height. Finally, tighten the LCA pin/shaft nut to spec.

I made the mistake of tightening LCR pivot shaft at full hang. Tighten at ride height (as Cranky said) or mid-travel. Had to reset later, a PITA!

i had my front end apart last year i reused the old ones , but i just bought a set from my local chrysler dealer for 180 Canadian. so im happy will swapping them out easy cause i had them out last year.
there si a right and left , and is there front and back ??, i will need to look in shop manual if they say anything about that tomorrow. last year mine came out easy after being in there for 50 years
but its a low miler and saw no salt.

IMG_2208.JPG

Are those stock, or aftermarket? Okay, you say stock.

Of the half dozen sets I've put in, none were marks on both ends! All up to the late 60s.

Must be 'new and improved'!

All kidding aside...in your other post, I described how to check them. If there's any question about it, that's the way to find out. Those bars 'should' be made with a pre-twist in them, clocked hex ends, and only go in one way. Simply because there made to twist in one direction only.

Will add, I suppose there's always the chance, end to end, right to left, maybe the clocking is the same direction, for each side. You tell me...and we'll both know!
If so, won't make any dif.

I worked at a Chrysler Plymouth dealer for nine years and never had to replace a torsion bar myself and I was the front end, alignment man.

Auto Transport Service
Back