• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

torsion bar losing it's tension

bluesman41

Local time
7:09 PM
Reaction score
can a torsion bar lose it's tension? this is the second time my 68 roadrunner drag cars left bar dropped down to the stop a guy I know at Les Schwab said they can go bad.
I put used mopar performance bars on have had nothing but issues with them so today I bought some .84 bars from firm feel. I hope they cure my issues along with work better at launch!

My Drag cars always loose tension on the torsion bar. I make a measurement of the front fender lip to the ground. This allows to readjust periodically without guess work. That being said I use 6 cylinder bars which are thin. A torsion bar is nothing more than a straight coil spring. The material is still being twisted back and forth. So like any spring they can lose tension with use.
Doug

I remember having a shop repair a ripped/rusted out torsion bar socket,
and even after giving them documentation about getting it indexed properly, and how it worked, when I went back, they told ME something HAD to be wrong with the bar, because the height could not be brought up to anything beyond barely resting on the bumper stops.
I said, "sorry, you're going to have to grind this all out, and do it over."
They did, and they ate the lost time.
It's nice to win one once in a while.

I don't think anybody "won" in that story.

I remember having a shop repair a ripped/rusted out torsion bar socket,
and even after giving them documentation about getting it indexed properly, and how it worked, when I went back, they told ME something HAD to be wrong with the bar, because the height could not be brought up to anything beyond barely resting on the bumper stops.
I said, "sorry, you're going to have to grind this all out, and do it over."
They did, and they ate the lost time.
It's nice to win one once in a while.

In my experience, the adjustment CAN bring the arm well off the bumper. Sounds like BS. Having said that, T bars do sag over time.

Auto Transport Service
Back