• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Torsion bar orientation

RT SE 440

Local time
3:13 AM
Reaction score
Hi all just cleaned up my torsion bars which came in a box like the rest of the car (basket case) and just wondering which end goes to the front and which goes to the rear the bars are marked L/H & R/H but not front and rear as i believe if you switch them around they will be clocking the wrong way I'm pretty sure i have worked out the correct way (if you can see what i see in the photo's) but thought I'd check with someone that has an unrestored example just to be 100%. Also would the line on the rear of the bar be orientated running horizontal with the torsion bar member thanks ahead everyone

339398836_126838616969052_2938111214275024952_n.jpg

339321726_140755545627889_4358267203944163084_n.jpg

Last edited:
L and R is important. Which way they then go in is not, but OE's were installed showing the part number out the crossmember holes.

L and R is important. Which way they then go in is not, but OE's were installed showing the part number out the crossmember holes.
Thanks dadsbee you are correct to the part number at the rear, but i think it does matter front or rear because the torsion bar has been stressed in one direction for 50 years if you spin it around would it not now be stressed in the opposite direction ?

Thanks dadsbee you are correct to the part number at the rear, but i think it does matter front or rear because the torsion bar has been stressed in one direction for 50 years if you spin it around would it not now be stressed in the opposite direction ?
Doesn’t matter which direction as stated by dadsbee. Twist direction remains the same regardless of which end you put in first. Think of a piece of threaded rod, put a nut on one end and thread it on. Then swap the rod end to end. The nut will still thread on the same direction.

Last edited:
They will twist the same way, front and rear doesn’t matter. It’s left and right that matters.

take a flexible piece of something, mark each end and twist it. Then turn it end for end and twist again. You will see it twists the same direction.

Auto Transport Service
Back