• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Torsion bar replacement?

Beekeeper

It’s a disease without a cure!
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:13 PM
Reaction score
Ok so I’m dropping the drivetrain out of the 69’ bee and down to torsion bars and k bolts.
I have the original 383 out of the car and a 440 installed which will be going back in.
So I was looking at the size of the bars and kinda think I should move up to .920 bars
in place of the .900 or should I just go to 1.03 bars? Can anyone who have used either of the latter tell me about the ride and handling of each? thanks

Did a A body with the .920 it was ok at the time no one was making any bigger. For a B I would do the 1.03 for street driving. My 2 cents.

How big a bar before it starts riding like a... Buckboard-New-Main.jpg
???

Sounds like I’ll go with the 1.03 then thanks for the replies to my post.

Next question is what brand bars should I get? PST,Mancini etc.

I've been using PST's 1.03" bars in both my Duster as well as my B-bodies. Very happy with them, and the price is not bad either.

If you think there are several people out there making Torsion Bars for Mopars I think you're mistaken. So it probably doesn't matter who you buy from.

Make sure they have the 30* offset, or whatever it's supposed to be. Like stock.

Make sure they have the 30* offset, or whatever it's supposed to be. Like stock.

the ones I’ve looked at so far have 20* clocked in them. Not sure what the stock ones are.

If you think there are several people out there making Torsion Bars for Mopars I think you're mistaken. So it probably doesn't matter who you buy from.

There are multiple vendors for torsion bars. Firm Feel makes their own torsion bars on site. They have a forge and an oven and they hammer them out. I know of one other vendor for torsion bars but I don't know if they make all of them or not. Mopar used a spring mfg in Canada for their bars but I don't know if they are still in business. I don't know where Hotchkis gets their torsion bars.

the ones I’ve looked at so far have 20* clocked in them. Not sure what the stock ones are.

20 degrees is a good clocking number for a 1.03 bar. A stock bar is clocked 30 degrees. 30 degree clocking works okay for a 0.960 bar but it is too much clocking for the larger bars. The clocking needs to be reduced as the bar gets stiffer. The really stiff torsion bars are not clocked at all.

The clocking on the B and E body torsion bars that we offer are a 20 degree clock as mentioned above by AndyF the degrees are reduced when the diameter is increased. Our bars were engineered in the states ( actually by AndyF) and we have a forge that we work with in the U.S. that makes them for us. Please let me know if you have any further questions on our bars.

Thanks
James From
PST

The clocking on the B and E body torsion bars that we offer are a 20 degree clock as mentioned above by AndyF the degrees are reduced when the diameter is increased. Our bars were engineered in the states ( actually by AndyF) and we have a forge that we work with in the U.S. that makes them for us. Please let me know if you have any further questions on our bars.

Thanks
James From
PST
I do, I have a question, do you ship this to Mexico? and do you have an estimate on the cost of shipping? Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the info James!
I will need a set of the 41” x 1.03 bars
for my 69’ bee

I do, I have a question, do you ship this to Mexico? and do you have an estimate on the cost of shipping? Thanks in advance.

Yes we do offer international shipping. You would need to either call for estimate or send a inquiry through our website with your full address.

Thanks
James

Auto Transport Service
Back