• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Torsion Bars

Red63440

Local time
3:14 PM
Reaction score
Approximately what distance is the suspension moved for every one turn on the adjusting bolt, I have to raise my front end.....63 Dodge 440

Not measured that way. Check you ride height spec. Difference from the torsion pivot & the botton of the steering arm.

Let me explain a little.....the rear springs on the car were shot so the previous owner/owners turned down the bars to keep the car close to level. Last night I was under the car and the front of the oil pan looks like it was used for plowing a field. Now with that said I need an answer for my first question and then I will worry about the "correct" ride heigth.

Let me explain a little.....the rear springs on the car were shot so the previous owner/owners turned down the bars to keep the car close to level. Last night I was under the car and the front of the oil pan looks like it was used for plowing a field. Now with that said I need an answer for my first question and then I will worry about the "correct" ride heigth.

About 5/16" per/360' turn on the bolt.

It's kinda just trial and error for what you are after. Just put it on jack stands, tighten each equally about four or five turns and put it back on its wheels. If its too high or low adjust from there.

Thank you very much for the info.....I will mark the bolt head and turn equally.

I put mine in 12 turns from completely removed. I think that was too mauch, but the motor is not in yet.

Your set up will depend on the diameter of the bars. The thicker the bar the higher spring rate. After the car is setting on the suspension and has been driven or bounced a few times to settle the suspension, get it level side to side. I measure the space between the frame and lower control arm. After you get it level you can probably make your adjustments by counting turns. Don't forget to have the alignment checked after adjusting the ride height. I've got the 1.08 bars and it doesn't take much to noticably change the height.

The SS springs didn't raise the rear as much as I had thought they would, I only turned each side up 2 full rotations. Once I get 15" wheels on the front or a taller tire I may have to turn them down again.

I didn't measure it but it seems straight....a tape may show different though.

Don't forget that after you make an adjustmen and let the car down on the floor. You have to push it back and forth a couple of feet two or three times. Thats to get the wheels to camber out and let the car all the way down.

Will do, its going to be up in the air for a while, I need to pull rear end gears to change a seal and housing gasket.

I seem to recall a note in the old Direct Connection catalog re SS springs causing the car to be not level across the rear. I believe the pass side is up so don't be surprised. Make sure you get the front end even then check uot the rear and let us know. I am sure others are running the SS springs and can chime in.

Auto Transport Service
Back