• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Total rewire.

mosquito13

Local time
5:05 AM
Reaction score
Be chasing gremlins since I purchased this car ( 64 440 with 318 polly). Anyone found a complete re wire kit that worked well with the old B bodies? I just did a complete rewire on a 87 F150 stepside using a American Autowire universal kit. Surprised how easy that was , but for the dash and mating to the steering column wiring .

I used American auto wire. Very clear instructions, with pictures. Very clearly labeled wires. Gives you options for many factory, or aftermarket parts. I thought I had more pictures, might have to do some digging.

4D64062D-6EF5-4170-A604-D2E4CA87969D.jpeg

014757B0-3A9B-4076-ACA6-1C237A2F0353.jpeg

1CF960E5-21EB-4403-A664-403521F39D3C.jpeg

76F7BB5E-5B2C-4C56-8056-819506B04F18.jpeg

I’ve used M&H replacement harnesses. If everything is factory, they are plug in and go. They offer an engine harness compatible with electronic ignition and square back alternators with solid state voltage regulators for the early B bodies. I’d guess Evans has the same.

I’ve used M&H replacement harnesses. If everything is factory, they are plug in and go. They offer an engine harness compatible with electronic ignition and square back alternators with solid state voltage regulators for the early B bodies. I’d guess Evans has the same.
I second M&H. I replaced every harness in my 70 last year. If you are keeping it stock. it is just a match up with no issues.

Be chasing gremlins since I purchased this car ( 64 440 with 318 polly). Anyone found a complete re wire kit that worked well with the old B bodies? I just did a complete rewire on a 87 F150 stepside using a American Autowire universal kit. Surprised how easy that was , but for the dash and mating to the steering column wiring .
I used a Ron Francis kit for the 69. It went pretty well. They said not to use the old schematic at all. Have the old and the new handy. It will help a ton! Also, I found it good to spend a day or 2 a week actually retiring and the others figuring out and planning. Kept things fresh, always had a game plan and I didn’t get too crazy looking at wires. Not to mention was able to get and keep things tidy!good luck!
E1DC35BD-C664-461F-AC9E-AF1D34CD78B0.jpeg
That was the pile of wiring after pulling it all out!

My issue with the universal wiring kits is that they use GM wire colors which are different colors than on the Mopar.
Also, they usually don't have all the correct terminal ends and option plugs.
If it is mostly stock, the M&H replacement harness will save you time and hassles as it just replaces the original. All the option harnesses can get expensive, but it will save you about a week or more of time compared to wiring a "universal" kit.

If you decide to use an aftermarket wiring harness, make sure the wires are cross-linked polyethylene (XLPE) insulation as per SAE-J-1128, Ford M1L-85B, and Chrysler MS-8900 specifications. Usually sold as GXL, SXL, and TXL are all types of cross-linked automotive primary wires. These wires all have high-temperature resistance of 125 degrees C (257 F) and great flexibility. The main difference between these wires is their insulation thickness. TXL wire has thinner insulation than GXL, and SXL has thicker insulation. You can learn more about the differences between TXL and GXL wire here: TXL Wire vs GXL Wire | Allied University

The Polyvinyl Chloride, also referred to as PVC, is a thermoplastic material. The cheap harness will use the PVC insulated wire.
PVC was common on our old cars, but because the insulation is a thermoplastic material, it melts when it gets hot. The "GPT" wire is only rated for 80 degrees C (176 F), And the highest temperature rated PVC wire is "TWP" rated for 105 C (221 F).

A You tube video by American Autowire shows how the insulation(s) react when they get hot from an overload current:

I haven't bought wire in awhile, but the GXL wire was not much more expensive than the GPT wire, and the teflon (Tefzwl) insulated (tin plated copper wire) is about 4 times more expensive than GXL wire.
From acwire.com, 1000 feet of 16 AWG wire, in black insulation. GXL cost is: $82.81 M22759 wire is: $305.22 For the PVC wire they want you to request a quote.
I think those are pretty good prices from acwire?
Home Depot wants $117.95 for 1000 feet of GPT wire, which likely is around $50 to $60 from acwire?

I like the M&H dash and engine compartment replacement harness I put in my 66. One thing to remember is all the accessory harnesses don’t come with it and many of them seem to be unobtanium. So save/repair all your radio, heater, AC, clock, etc, as equipped, and note where they are plugged into the back of the fuse box.

I replaced all the wiring in my 65 with new harnesses from Evans.
We did a 64 Plymouth Fury with Evans. They even added up grades that allowed us to use Mopar factory electronic ignition installed UNDER the dash.

I did a 68 Satellite with a whole American Autowire Classic Update Kit. It was a lot of work, but totally worth it. Not chasing wiring gremlins anymore. Plus I can add an electric fan, heated seats, EFI, headlight upgrades, vintage air A/C heater, etc with minor changes. Very happy, but you must be patient and focused.

Jeremy

Get the crimping pliers from Am Auto Wiring too. There are two, one for normal and the other is for the double wire crimp. They are designed for our type of connectors, Gm too, the Packard style. I have several types of crimpers but these work the best for that style. They are less likely to just crush the connection like others. #510587

Auto Transport Service
Back