• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Totaled my SRT 10

iraqivet01

Local time
6:30 AM
Reaction score
Last Saturday night I blew out the passenger rear tire driving down the turnpike going around 80.
I was just changing lanes when it let loose. Needless to say the truck swung around sideways causing the front end to smash into the concrete wall that separates the direction of travel.
It spun two more times hitting the rear, and then the front drivers side again before it finally came to a stop facing the wrong direction.

Both air bags deployed, my front drivers side bumper was caved in a good 18", the cab moved forward off the mounts on the drivers side around 6" . The passenger side bed sustained damage on the rear molding and bed.
The Frame is now shaped like a ruffles potatoe chip. I was able to start the truck up and move it out of the highway on the shoulder. The drivers seat is messed up now where it no long smooth to fold it forward. The seat belt is stuck in the position and will not retract.

Fortunately no other cars were hit during this roller coaster ride, I came out all in one piece. Just hurt feeling seeing what just happened to my pride and joy I had bought off the show room floor in 2005.

Here's what's left of her.

http://s445.photobucket.com/albums/qq171/Iraqivet01_486/SRT 10 wreck/

photo6.jpg
[/IMG]

photo12.jpg
[/IMG]

photo3.jpg
[/IMG]

photo10.jpg
[/IMG]

photo8.jpg
[/IMG]
My insurance company adjuster said it was a total lose, and estimated the damage to well over $18,000. They gave me a pretty decent price for the truck, well over 'Blue book, so I am able to purchase another Black 04 SRT 10 located in Texas with 8,000 miles on the odometer. I was able to get it for less than what I settled for my truck.
Flying down to Dallas Friday to pick it up.

I'm seeing what the buy back on the truck is. If reasonable, I might be sporting a viper drive train in my 68 Dodge Coronet. Already have an RMS suspension for it, be just a matter of refabing the fire wall and transmission hump.

Last edited:
Damn that suck for you, good to see no one got hurt, engines, metal, rubber & car/trucks can be replaced... Good luck with your soon to be new SRT-10 truck toy....

That totally sucks! Sorry to hear about that but glad to know you are OK. What do you think caused the tire to let go?

Good use of the drivetrain by the way!

The link to the pics doesn't open to any pics for me...but it's good that you are ok. Curious to what brand of tire failed or did you run over something? I've had 3 General tires shed the thread belt over the course of 10 years. None lost air but all did damage to the vehicle. One let go on my Dakota pickup at 65 on the rear and I thought I was going to lose it because it did start to fish tail some but I got it straightened out and made it to work. I really hate steel belted radial tires.....

Wow, Glad you didn't get hurt, im sorry to hear about it.. wish you luck with the new one!

Sorry to hear about that, definitely glad noone was hurt. Must have been a hell of a ride!

Wow, sorry to see that. Really sucks to have your pride and joy wrecked like that, done it myself a couple of times. Has the insurance company actually totaled it? Looks like it might still be repairable - albeit they are never the same again, physically - or mentally.

thank god you are in 1 piece. my buddy had a red SRT-10 2008 it got fire in engine bay something about a oil cooler line ruptured he had a car-b-que on the freeway here in phoenix. dodge had sent out a claims agent and it went back to detroit and he was given a newer year model

Must have been a viper car. The trucks were only built in 2004 - 2006.
2004 were only regular cabs with 6 speeds
05-06 were both RC and quad cabs.

In 2004, 3042 (+/-) were made
2005, something like 2500 (+/-) were built
/006, around 1500 (+/-) were built

Fast jack would know. He's also on the VTCOA forum longer than I.

Glad to see you're alright. Looks like Pirelli tires?

PS is that a legit Yenko Chebby in the garage?

Glad to see you're alright. Looks like Pirelli tires?

PS is that a legit Yenko Chebby in the garage?

No, not a Real Yenko.

It a really good clone my late cousins did a total rebuilt 15 years ago. It has everything like the Yenko, just wasn't built by Yenko.
Tony who owned the car, got killed on the drag strip in Tulsa when I was in Iraq in 2003. Only time it see day light is to be washed, and started up every month or so.

I bought it from his wife after she got into a budget bind, and was going to sell it off. The car has alway been in the family and the shop for over 20 years, and wasn't about to see it go.

Cool story how we got it, but I'll save that for another thread.

Man, that's a sad sight, but I am happy to hear you managed to find another one.
They really are beautiful trucks, I would love to own one someday.
Good luck with the new one, post some pics when you get it.

Man, that sucks, glad to hear your ok. It's a shame, them are cool trucks.

Well I got my settlement today from the insurance company. I asked them yesterday what the buy back would be. Price was too good to refuse, so I kept it. It's going to be a donor truck for my 68 Dodge Coronet.

I figured since I have the body stripped down to bare shell and have an RMS front suspension, might as well drop the 8.3L viper engine with the 6 speed.

I'll start a thread when I start the work.

Man, that's a sad sight, but I am happy to hear you managed to find another one.
They really are beautiful trucks, I would love to own one someday.
Good luck with the new one, post some pics when you get it.

Will do. It looks just like my old truck just with out the dents, and bent frame.

Got lemons? Make lemonade! Hard to tell what happened with the tire. Did it look like a leak that made it run low and blow, or just a sidewall failure?

Wow, sounds like your bad ordeal actually turned into a pretty good deal. You weren't hurt, you got a low mileage truck, and a V-10 to go in the coronet! It sucks another SRT-10 died in the process. I really love those trucks and went down to the dealership when I heard they had just got them in back in 04. It was red, 45k and just beautiful!

I had a tire failure in my 02 Lightning back in 05. It split in the side wall shortly after I ran over a pothole. Luckily I was going slow and all the tire did was air down.

Auto Transport Service
Back