• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Touch Up Paint Help

FlagCraig

Local time
12:53 PM
Reaction score
62 Polara has non-original repaint. Have no idea what color it is after multiple on line checks. Went to OReilly's and they took the camera to get a paint match. Three pics and $50 later I have a can of color touch up with a can of activator.

Instructions were 3 parts paint to 1 part activator. Mixed a small amount this morning to try on one discreet area. Paint seemed pretty thin to me (not a paint guy). Is there a way to make it thicker or should I give it a go?

Have not started yet. Maybe a couple coats needed.

Any thoughts appreciated.

The paint and activator is for spraying through a gun. Kind of thin for useing a brush, if that's what you're useing.
If you are useing a brush, you can mix up a small amount and let it sit for awhile. It will thicken up being exposed to the air but the working time will be short because of the epoxy type properties.
Is a thinner being used also?

No thinner being used yet. Yeah my first batch was only 2oz. How long do you recommend exposed to air to thicken it up a bit?

Thanks.

No thinner being used yet. Yeah my first batch was only 2oz. How long do you recommend exposed to air to thicken it up a bit?

Thanks.
You'll have to experiment with it a bit. Maybe even find a scrap piece of painted metal to practice on too. Good luck!

if the paint they gave you is urethane, it wont dry without the activator....... as to it being thin, put some of it in the sun for a few minutes or simply wait till it thickens a bit.

for touch ups, I prefer an acrylic enamel such as centari, it uses, but does not require a hardner to dry..... right out of the can it is pretty thick and "stands up" nicely when placed into a chip.

on a side note...... do not use base coat for touch ups, it simply sucks, and may attack the surrounding clearcoat if the edge is broken

Auto Transport Service
Back