• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Towing question

DownZero

Local time
11:39 AM
Reaction score
My plan in the near future is to get a 22 or 24 foot enclosed trailer for my charger. I know I would be covered with both for capacity and payload with a ram 2500 but I was wondering if a 1500 would suffice. Truck would be 4x4.

Works just fine... long wheel base, factory tow/brake controller and a weight distribution hitch and go...

talladegaorbust2019 159.JPG

Camping at the Gilmore Museum. Notice how the truck and trailer are both sitting level and the truck box is full of supplies as well.

Last edited:
I know there's beefer 1500s and then there's regular 1500s. Regular 1500s don't have much load capacity. Load levelers are a big help when the truck is a little on the light side.

Need to see what your gross weight is, those trailers come with various axle packages. But, once you tow with a diesel there’s no going back. 1500 will work but it’ll struggle over the hills with a 24’ 10k loaded trailer. 24’ all aluminum 7k pound, no problem with 1500.

How much toung weight do you have with that bird in the trailer? Is that a 24 footer?

Most manufacturers say the total weight of the towed unit should not exceed 75% of the tow vehicle weight.

Hate to say it, but my 5.0 litre x 10 speed F150 had ZERO issues climbing the hills to Atlanta, then Alabama and back home to Ontario and there was some dooooozies... Why the factory "brake" controller is important as it knows that you are towing and changes the transmission ranges to suit vs when not towing. Also uses the engine as a brake on the downgrades.

Tow capacity on my '18 is 11,600 lbs...
https://www.ford.ca/cmslibs/content...uides/pdf/RV_Trailer_Towing_Guide_EN_2018.PDF

Tongue weight downzero... couldn't tell you as I didn't weigh it. Spread axle trailer and loaded right over them. Tongue weight probably not much different than the trailer empty.... but just enough so it never "wags the tail".

A Lot depends Where you are towing. If you're in Hilly, Mountainous Regions, you will need the Power to Pull, at will. I'm sold on Diesels, and you'll need to go 2500/3500 for those.
Also, the Heavier P/Ups don't wander, as there's enough weight on the front axle, even in windy conditions...

Most manufacturers say the total weight of the towed unit should not exceed 75% of the tow vehicle weight.

Oops, i may have exceeded 100%! Towed the 67 coronet parts car 500+ miles with my 4 banger rice burner. It did really well though i don't recommend it. Was in a pinch for time and it's all i had available. The **** we'll do for mopars.

tow.jpg

How I use to go to shows alone... and yes that 1987 GMC van struggled on hills with the 350 and three speed transmission.. LOL, but never failed me! The trailer weighs 3800 lbs alone..
beepics 015.JPG

I've towed with all kinds of vehicles and moved up and up but when I bought my 97 Club Cab 2500 diesel in around 2001......well, I still have that thing! My 1 ton single wheel 79 Dodge 300 Adventurer SE w/4 speed granny was pretty dang good too except for the fuel mileage really sucked. It got 8 mpg loaded or not. The only thing I wish my diesel had is a stick....

I towed my 64 Dodge on a rented U-haul trailer behind a 2018 F-150 4x4 with the 2.7 ecoboost a couple of times. It did ok, but I have since purchased a 24' enclosed trailer and upgraded to a 2019 F-250 with a powerstroke diesel. I am sure that the F-150 could have pulled the trailer, but I am way more confident in the ability of the F-250. I towed from Florida to Indy and back, with the F-250, it is like the trailer is not even back there, even through the mountains. That is not a trip I would have liked to do with the F-150.

Tow rating is more sophisticated than "not more than 75%". It's on your vehicles sticker. Take the GVWR (gross VEHICLE weight rating) and subtract it from the GCWR (gross COMBINED weight rating), and that is your tow capacity. That is completely different than your tongue weight rating (physical weight pushing down on your ball mount). You can find that number in places like the Trailer Life magazine tow guide (online, organized by model year).

Personally...I'll never tow with a gasser, OR with a half ton truck. Suspensions are too soft, frames are relatively flimsy, brakes are weak, transmissions aren't rated for it, and engine power is lower. My 3/4 ton does everything I need it to do - Cummins, 6 speed manual, 4x4, 8' bed, Class V hitch, trailer brake controller. I get 20mpg around town (empty or full); I got 18 mpg towing my Charger from FL to MD. It pulls my 26' enclosed car hauler like it's nothing - and I live on top of a mountain. ABSOLUTELY use weight distrubution when you tow. Worth its weight in gold. My truck doesn't sag an inch when I have my trailer hooked up because of the weight distribution setup. Before I hook up the bars? It sags about 5". makes a YUGE difference, and the truck drives/steers much better as well.

Right tool for the job, saves a ton of headaches.

Ideally your truck should have the factory tow package. It includes heavier springs, shocks, HD brakes , HD transmission cooler, radiator etc... A lot of stress is put on the suspension, chassis and driveline when towing something as large as a vehicle trailer.

Open trailer, 5,000 - 6,000 pounds should not be too bad with a decent 1/2 ton.
Done that with 1986 Ram W150 (360), a 2002 Ram 1500 (4.7L). The 2002 with the 4.7 did want to shift alot going up hills in Colorado.
Even towed car on open trailer with my 1985 Ramcharger (318), but it was not something I would want to do again. Difficult to get the hitch weight correct, and the big grades wanted to overheat the engine/transmission.
Closed trailer with car, tools, extras, around 9,000+ pounds, you will want a 3/4 or 1 ton truck with a diesel.

Hills and mountains are where you will notice ( and hate it) having a smaller vehicle.. I towed a Fox body mustang from Oregon to Florida with a Toyota crew cab 4 liter V6 pickup.. Loved that truck, hated it after that trip..
DSCF0803.JPG

I purchased this 1500 chevy with the new 3 liter diesel recently. I towed my neighbors 5700lb Jeep Pickup on my 1600 lb trailer 400 miles. Surprised me what a great job it did towing.. Super pleased with this truck

Auto Transport Service
Back