• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Traction bars or no traction bars (Which one looks better)

Builderguy

Builderguy
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:30 AM
Reaction score
1973 Roadrunner with peg leg for a rear end. Original owner had a set of yellow traction bars on it. I know they really don't do much with a mopar rear setup but I am thinking about looks only. Thought they always looked kinda cool. What do you think?
665927acff86b83d65b191b7ac78b56d.jpg

Or this
medium_classic-plymouth-road-runner-1973-yellow-for-sale.jpg

A lot better systems out there now....but if you want the old school look leave them on.

I always thought they looked cool and before I knew better I would put them onto any car I had. That said, back in the late 70s or early 80s a buddy of mine bought some adjustable traction bars. I think they were Ansen Ground Grabbers like these in the pic. I found some from PAW probably 20 years ago and put them on my 70 Challenger.

00h0h_d5QwtibII73_1200x900.thumb.jpg.6bd2eeb27fbe2d505aecf1f569fe1906.jpg
full-8651-14488-009.jpg

"Great looking RR :thumbsup:
Which one is yours?"

Neither, these are just stock photos for illustration of "the look". Same color, but mine is just coming out of paint. Will start putting it back together this week I hope. I happened across the original bars while looking for parts and that gave me the idea to ask the question.

Leave them for the Camaro guys. Besides, hidden pinion snubber is sneakier.

I like them. But then again I'm a big fan of the whole 1978 street machine look with shackles, air shocks, tires that poke out, and a tunnel ram.

I've never been a "slapper bar" fan for a Mopar. They don't really work. Leave them to the Chev guys.

ED0402C4-CC76-41B4-969E-71C254296052.jpeg

Before adding them, I couldn’t get the tires to hook. After adding them, they hook like crazy. Don’t say they don’t work.

They do work. I had them on all my Mopars back in the day. I had major wheel hop in several cars without them.. Again, like most everyone else for the look. Pinion snubbed these days. Pic from the 80's.

Charger2.jpg

A good leaf spring package with the right shocks will work better IMHO. It has for me. I also don't use the snubber with the good spring package. Sometimes the snubber will cause the wheel hop.

1973 Roadrunner with peg leg for a rear end. Original owner had a set of yellow traction bars on it. I know they really don't do much with a mopar rear setup but I am thinking about looks only. Thought they always looked kinda cool. What do you think?
View attachment 1059446

Or this
View attachment 1059447
Favorite year of the RR.
My dad's one he had in the '70s:
5svcpOpo6X772BxKyupDftjhmqueLMBnDsCEGnRmaMgAnjnOXoenPi3ZM7zu_LRkzbjxO_9=w1458-h908-no?authuser=0.jpg

I never ran traction bars on Mopars. Super Stock springs and sometimes a pinion snubber but that worked great back in the day. Right now on my 63 I just use Super Stock springs and thats it and it hooks good. Ron

Auto Transport Service
Back