• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tranny fluid type and amount 727

Nick ciavarino

Local time
3:23 AM
Reaction score
Hi i drained the tranny but not the converter put deep b&m tranny pan on how much fluid should i put in tranny and what type.Thanks

5 quarts is a good starting point but how deep is the pan.....and why not drain the converter too? If you needed a fluid change the converter should be included. And depending on if the converter is stock or not the whole thing could take 12 quarts.

Cranky nailed it, 5 qts to start, start it in "N", then with foot on brake, run threw the gears, and back to N.
The 727 transmission wont pump in "P"
Then check level, and repeat.

I have always used Type F in my 727 automatics, that have never been rebuilt, Wal mart sells it and it is not that expensive.

I am not saying this is the best stuff out there, but more then one old time transmission repair guys, have told me Type F is the way to go, if the transmission has never been rebuilt.

In a fresh rebuilt 727 for my father and my drag car, I used the B+M trick shift stuff it is very expensive, an the "TRICK" may have been on my wallet, LOL.

5 quarts is a good starting point but how deep is the pan.....and why not drain the converter too? If you needed a fluid change the converter should be included. And depending on if the converter is stock or not the whole thing could take 12 quarts.
Stock converter,b&m said pan adds 4 qts.

Did the pan come with adapter to drop the filter down?

If not then maybe start with 7 quarts, in the case of that pan.

Stock converter,b&m said pan adds 4 qts.
Then I would start with at least 8 and do what Bad B said......but man, drain the converter. If not, what I do is put it in gear for a second or two and it'll blast out at least another quart (maybe more, maybe less. I've done that on my daily beaters but have some old rags ready to sop up the blast residue lol. The least that does is empty the pump. You can do your own flush but it's going to take a LOT more new fluid by using disconnecting the cooler lines and putting the discharge side into an empty pan (the front line) and inserting the the suction line into a 2 gallon jug (minimum) and starting it up and putting it in drive. Keep an eye on it because it'll go fast. I've never done that but was told you could do it so if you consider doing that, talk to some of the others here that know more about transmissions than I do.

That seems like a large increase, did they mean 4 pints? My deep pans added 2 quarts. If it's a stock converter with a drain plug, drain it. I start with 6 or 7 quarts & slowly add to get to the full mark.
The pan adds 4 qts b&m deep aluminum pan.

Hi i drained the tranny but not the converter put deep b&m tranny pan on how much fluid should i put in tranny and what type.Thanks
John Cope told me to use atf 3, he said it shows less wear on his fresh ups than any other type of fluid, including the synthecics, soooo 3 it is in my 2800.00 dollar trans. PS he has very nice warrenty with his trans. Dave.

Auto Transport Service
Back