• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

tranny problem

rick74charger

Local time
8:07 AM
Reaction score
I got a 74 charger with the original 904 trans that had a professional rebuild 4 years ago. Suddenly trans is stuck in drive gear but shifter moves freely, all linkage moves externally... any ideas on what's wrong???

update: i dropped the trans pan and linkage moves internally as well it seems to me that the valve for drive is stuck open and is over powering the other gears... does this make sense to any one?? if you put it in park it seems like park engages but if you give it enough gas it will jump... and the fluid has a burnt smell even though it is 60 miles fresh...

I had a similar problem many years ago and it was on a 904. My car drove in neutral and park, had no reverse, drive was normal, second seemed to work and first went in at any speed. I did nothing and one day it fixed itself. I think the problem is a shuttle valve is sticking so maybe you should pull the valve body and give it a good cleaning. The burnt smell may be an issue, or not, so do a fluid change and see how long it stays clean.

Thanks that's what ill do... I figured it was a stuck valve or something cause everything else looks good in there, hopefully that does it

Auto Transport Service
Back