• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tranny Questions

Local time
6:09 PM
Reaction score
I have never messed with any torqueflites older than 1967 models.
I have a 1965 Chrysler 300 with a 727 cable shift, cable park. Was wondering if I could install a valve body from a later 727 to get part throttle downshifts(currently only does full throttle down shifts)?
Does this transmission have one or two pumps?
Would like to upgrade the input shaft to the later spline. Anything to look out for with this change?

Thanks

I have never messed with any torqueflites older than 1967 models.
I have a 1965 Chrysler 300 with a 727 cable shift, cable park. Was wondering if I could install a valve body from a later 727 to get part throttle downshifts(currently only does full throttle down shifts)?
Does this transmission have one or two pumps?
Would like to upgrade the input shaft to the later spline. Anything to look out for with this change?

Thanks
Won't work. Park on 65's is via the second cable, newer ones use a rod inside the case for the parking pawl. The shifter shaft on newer tranny's is out the top and a different size hole, 65's have them in the front. If you could get a newer valve body to fit, it would be an interesting project.

The larger stator shaft will be needed to use the later /larger input shaft. You can use the whole pump if you find an early model with the narrow front clutch bushing. As far as "part throttle KD", I know later TFs can be updated with the 1-2 shift valve auxiliary cover/valve housing but I don't have any knowledge on converting the cable shift TF. Keep on researching. Maybe Doug will chime in here.
Mike

Yeah, I was gonna suggest asking Caitlyn.

I knew the later input shaft required the stator housing with larger bushings to accept the new input shaft. Just wondering if pump ports and valving was the same due to the fact that there is a second pump?

I've swapped plenty of late model stator supports and input shafts. No issue there. The valve body question is interesting. I would ask John Cope At CRT or Rick Allison at A&A.
Doug

Auto Transport Service
Back