• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trans Cooler line size

Mike67

Local time
1:25 AM
Reaction score
So I bought Hayden trans cooler with a fan. The line size is a 9/16 flare, I have 4an fitting in my case, would there be any issues with changing those to a 6an? Also the threads in the case appear to be straight, so I'm assuming that a 1/4" NPS is correct? Thanks

The case threads are 1/8” pipe thread.

you can install 1/4 npt in the case and drill the tailshaft when you rebuild the trans
if you put a pressure gauge on the trans output you will see that 1/2 inch hose is much less restrictive than 5/16 or even the later 3/8 tubing
Mopar went to 1/2 on the V10 and diesels for a reason
this is even more important with a loose converter for heat
and with the od trans to lube the thrustwashers in the od
there are other obvious mods

you can install 1/4 npt in the case and drill the tailshaft when you rebuild the trans
if you put a pressure gauge on the trans output you will see that 1/2 inch hose is much less restrictive than 5/16 or even the later 3/8 tubing
Mopar went to 1/2 on the V10 and diesels for a reason
this is even more important with a loose converter for heat
and with the od trans to lube the thrustwashers in the od
there are other obvious mods

So I guess someone has already drilled the case for the 1/4, they are in the stock locations, not in the tail. The trans is already assembled and installed. Along with the cooler I've installed a Hughes deep pan as well.
I can get a 1/4" to 6an fitting, was just wondering if there would be an initial pressure drop going from the 1/4" to 3/8" (6an) and would it be a issue?
Thanks

Auto Transport Service
Back