• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trans No Workie

khryslerkid

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:37 PM
Reaction score
1962 Dodge Original Push Button Torqueflight

Spent the last couple of weeks getting this car off the jack stands, pushed it outside today, hoping to try out the trans and running gear and nothing!

Here I am trying "drive" to "reverse" to "neutral" back to "drive" ect. Nothing, not even a grunt!

Here's the history:

1.)Had the trans rebuilt by a reputable shop.

2.)The shop had a torque converter company who knew how to tweak a 19 spline TC for a little higher stall so that's what I got.

3.)TC was installed correctly, even had a bracket on it to keep it from backing out. When bolting to the flex plate, it spun freely and had to pull it toward the flex plate.
20160901_121414.jpg

4.)During the 20 min. engine break-in, added 7 quarts of fluid. Fluid level was 3 to 4 inches up on the dip stick and this has never changed. Even checked it today and it's still up on the stick. I did the engine break-in in "Neutral" without it being in "Park". Also the car didn't have the driveshaft installed.

5.)During the engine break-in I did notice the speedometer running up to 20 mph several times? Not constant.
Screenshot_20170915-154236.png

6.)Shift Cable was installed correctly and checked the detent engagement for the safety switch. Seems to work perfectly.

7.)Set the trans linkage to carburator per the FSM.
"Wide open throttle, trans leaver all the way back."

8.) Forgot to add, I had them upgrade to the newer pan with newer style filter. (Hope he installed that right)

I don't know if there is something stuck, not allowing the fluid to go through the TC or what. I've been concerned about the high dipstick level and figured after installing the driveshaft and having a load on it, it would circulate and the level would come down, probably having to add more.

Let the "Spit Balling" commence!

Last edited:
I thought you meant Bruce Jenner was unemployed !!! :rofl:

That's sucks. Neutral will suck fluid faster than park.
Maybe DVW will chime in he seems to be the go to guy on transmissions.

Weelll now it's time for dvw(Doug) to chime in. You have a frt & rear oil pump & I don't know a thing about them except you can pushstart if starter dies. I like that part, but the 2 pumps I don't know. Looks like a long night of googling! I do know fluid shudnt be above full, so maybe 1 of the pumps isn't working(?).

Weelll now it's time for dvw(Doug) to chime in. You have a frt & rear oil pump & I don't know a thing about them except you can pushstart if starter dies. I like that part, but the 2 pumps I don't know. Looks like a long night of googling! I do know fluid shudnt be above full, so maybe 1 of the pumps isn't working(?).

I have a car trailer and I can run it up to the trans shop if I have too. (Gives me an excuse to install the winch I bought for it about five years ago)

I'm just hoping it might be something I can do on my own.

There's a plan. Sorry can't help anymore. I knew there was a reason I hated those trunnion setups! It does sound like everything was right w/converter, but it could be screwed up internally. Do those cast iron's have pressure ports to check pressure for frt&rear pumps? Yeah I know, something else to buy!

I seem to remember needing to use a 3 hole filter ... otherwise it would not pick up the fluid.

When you pulled the torque converter forward - about how far did it move - 1/8 inch of so? Less than 1/4 inch? I'm with Old Bee - almost sounds like the pump isn't turning or it has one heck of an internal leak if the oil level has never moved.

Yeah but what does the rear pump do?If you can push start one of those it has to be feeding everything?

Or at least 1st&reverse? Doug's probably spending last weeks winnings with the better-half from Kentucky!

That sux Kid
I'm just wondering about the pick up. Did you supply the pan and spacer or did the trans guy ( not Jenner)???
I would think that a pro would remember to install a spacer with a deeper pan but stranger things have happened.
Good luck
:popcorn:

I seem to remember needing to use a 3 hole filter ... otherwise it would not pick up the fluid.
I would suspect the filter too. The push button trans has a rear pump. Not sure how it is connected to the rest of the hydraulics.

The rear pump is driven off the output shaft. The front off the torque converter.
There are a few test ports on the case. Get the service manual, find pressure specs and test the pressure. It sounds like you have little to no pressure.

I would haul it to the shop that did the work and tell them to fix their ****.

If the convertor's bad pushing car won't help. A pressure test would tell you if pumps work. Sure sounds like trans is coming out of car.

That sux Kid
I'm just wondering about the pick up. Did you supply the pan and spacer or did the trans guy ( not Jenner)???
I would think that a pro would remember to install a spacer with a deeper pan but stranger things have happened.
Good luck
:popcorn:

It was just the newer pan. '64 and up. The original used a screen and the pan has a bump in it so the newer style filter won't clear.

The more I'm thinking about it he probably used the wrong filter.

Have to get it back on jack stands, pull the pan and see. Easy fix if that's what it is. I hope running it dry didn't hurt it.

Need to change the speedometer gear too. Probably not till next week. This weekend is booked all of a sudden.

Auto Transport Service
Back