• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trans Question

jaak

Local time
6:42 PM
Reaction score
What kind of trans was used in a '66 Belvedere with a wide-block 318? Will a trans from a LA 318 bolt up to a wide block 318?
Thanks,
Jason

No the LA trans will not bolt up.You have to find a tranny from a poly motor.

Thanks for the quick reply. Thats what I was thinking, but I am not familiar with the poly motors.

Thanks again,
Jason

1962 and up "A" series (poly head) used the same pattern as "LA" series small block (904s)

the earlier 318 poly used the same pattern as the older Gen 1 Hemi.

I'll second that on the '62 and up engines being the same. I think the bellhousing was _always_ the same but the crankshaft and the method of attaching the torque converter to the crankshaft changed in '62.

One thing to watch for though... Although they bolted up the same, the '62-'65 transmission was slightly different than the '66 and up. They used a cable for shifting like the '61 and earlier. Some of them (maybe all?) also had a rear pump (as did the '61 and earlier) and could be push started.

Anyway, to answer your original question... I have both a '66 Belvedere with a Poly 318 and a '67 with an LA 318 and they are the _same_ tranny. I'm pretty sure that most any 318/904 (Poly or LA) from '66 and up should be interchangeable.

i think my poly 66 has a 727 but i havent looked close. have i been wrong in this assumption

I had a poly in a 64 Belvedere and it had the cable 727. Not sure about the block pattern though. I just assumed it was LA block compatible.

well, i bravely stepped out into the chilly night air and found that daredevil is indeed correct. i found a 727 in both the '66 and the '67.

at least i remembered that they were the same! :)

Auto Transport Service
Back