• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trans. shift point.

DETAILS MATTER!
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:42 PM
Reaction score
My 66 Satty has a TCI Streetfighter Trans. 1-2 shift is fine. 2-3 have to get up to 45-48 mph to shift. I have an FSM but it doesn't say how to make it shift into 3rd quicker. I know there should be an adjustment. Thanks for any input.

I believe there are springs in the valve body that control the shift timing. At WOT, the governor sets the shift points and there is a spring that can be swapped to modify the upshifts.

I had a sticky valve on a new valve body that caused upshift to stick until I got on the throttle to upper RPM range. It cleared up.

The kickdown linkage & it's adjustment varies the shift points, far as I know, along with governor.

Stock carburetor or aftermarket? If aftermarket does it have the correct Mopar throttle lever extension?

Holley 650 street avenger, yes proper lever.

What are the rpms for both shifts?, is the condition you're describing occur under normal driving?, and what are the WOT shift rpms for the gear changes?

Yes, normal driving. If I nail it shifts @ 5200.

To make it shift sooner, shorten the top rod on the KD linkage.

Auto Transport Service
Back