• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trans Starting To Slip??

multimopes

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:25 PM
Reaction score
I have had my car for more than 10 years. It is a 440 with a ?(built)? 727. It has a manual reverse valve body and a B&M cable shifter,(no manual kickdown rod), as it was built for doing some racing. I never had any trouble with it except 5 years ago, excessive heat from the headers melted the plastic off the cable housing and the cable popped out. I drove home in 2nd gear at low speed. I put a heat shield around the new cable. I also added a deep sump pan around then as well which added approx. 4 quarts more fluid. It always used to "grab" the next gear when shifting between gears. Never had a problem and usually go easy on it except for those occasional "spirited" launches. Yesterday, I took it out for the first time in 6 weeks and noted when it shifted from 2nd to 3rd, it kind of slid in instead of grabbing like it used to. Once in gear it was fine like it always was. By the time I got home, it started to do a similar slush type engagement in first to second as well. Then when backing up to park it. it didn't want to engage for several seconds. I tried it again into 1st & then reverse and it took some time to engage. The fluid is clean, probably only about 1500 miles on it and no leaks except a drip or two. I do not know what converter is in it either. I am thinking maybe the filter is dirty limiting pressure build up. It is also possible that the threaded adjustment on the cable came loose and moved somewhat. Because it's not stock, where would you first look for the problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated; up to and including a free replacement trans that installs itself! Thanks.........

Seems like a rear band/servo issue. Rear band adjustment, maybe. Or the rear servo seal may be leaking & takes time to move the servo piston. An out of adjustment shift cable can cause some weird stuff too.

Edit: Don't let it go too long, Can result in serious damage.

The 3rd/ rev clutch is the only component applied in 3rd and reverse. Either the reaction shaft rings are worn/broken, 3rd/ rev clutch seals are worn/damaged. The 3rd/rev clutch frictions are most likely worn or damaged due to the above mentioned failures or improper throttle pressure linkage adjustment.
Doug

I would start with your first thought and check the filter. It's a low priced investigation.

If the filter is plugged, there is a reason. If it were restricted other gears would slip as well.
Doug

Did you ever resolve the issue. I have a very similar power train setup to yours, and I started experiencing the same issue last night. I'm pretty sure mine is Cable-Related, but haven't started looking yet.

Thanks

To OP, my comment in post #3 was only partly accurate, I missed the 2-3 lag issue. dvw's explanation is spot on. Although I've had a cable mis-adjustment do similar things, and it was only slightly off. Let us know the results.

Did you ever resolve the issue.
Not yet! I checked the cable adjustment and it was locked where I put it when I changed it over 5 years ago. Then, I found a highly recommended racing transmission shop about 10 miles from home. I took the car to him for his input. There were dozens of pictures of cars on the wall that he built the transmissions on. We checked the fluid levels first & it was slightly low. We topped it off & he rode in it with me & drove it himself. Also we put it on his lift and gave it a look see. He says he thinks the clutch pack is bad & something else that I forget. I asked him if he could do the job & he said yes, but.........He is 73 years old and has health issues. He said there is too much involved for him to remove it himself; cross over exhaust, headers blocking the mini starter etc.... I asked If I could do it at his shop or help him & he said no. Insurance issues & such. Also, he is absolutely paranoid being near anyone due to his frailty & the Covid crap going around! He will however, do a bench job which he said would cost around $800 to $900 dollars. My problem is that I jacked up my car at home, as High as I can safely get it and took measurements. It doesn't look like the bell housing will clear enough for removal. So, everyone else I asked doesn't want to tie up a lift for any length of time either & I can understand that. However, I met a neighbor down the street from me who has a 3 bay heated & air conditioned garage & he said we could do it there. So, I am going to try to arrange that asap! By the way; if I put the car directly in 3rd gear, I can drive it without issues, even up steep hills due to the 3.91's out back. I was waiting for spring as I don't want to drive the car with salt on the roads. Down the hill to his garage is okay but, test driving it and such will require some road distance so I have been waiting for spring first. On top of this, I will be 70 years old this year myself and gettin up off the ground ain't the walk in the park it used to be. I also am still working, (rotating shifts) with no end in site. I wish I could just hit the lottery & drop dead from shock with a smile on my face, lol! I will post up any updates as soon as something develops. I appreciate all of your input here and if there is something else I missed, please let me know. :)

Not yet! I checked the cable adjustment and it was locked where I put it when I changed it over 5 years ago. Then, I found a highly recommended racing transmission shop about 10 miles from home. I took the car to him for his input. There were dozens of pictures of cars on the wall that he built the transmissions on. We checked the fluid levels first & it was slightly low. We topped it off & he rode in it with me & drove it himself. Also we put it on his lift and gave it a look see. He says he thinks the clutch pack is bad & something else that I forget. I asked him if he could do the job & he said yes, but.........He is 73 years old and has health issues. He said there is too much involved for him to remove it himself; cross over exhaust, headers blocking the mini starter etc.... I asked If I could do it at his shop or help him & he said no. Insurance issues & such. Also, he is absolutely paranoid being near anyone due to his frailty & the Covid crap going around! He will however, do a bench job which he said would cost around $800 to $900 dollars. My problem is that I jacked up my car at home, as High as I can safely get it and took measurements. It doesn't look like the bell housing will clear enough for removal. So, everyone else I asked doesn't want to tie up a lift for any length of time either & I can understand that. However, I met a neighbor down the street from me who has a 3 bay heated & air conditioned garage & he said we could do it there. So, I am going to try to arrange that asap! By the way; if I put the car directly in 3rd gear, I can drive it without issues, even up steep hills due to the 3.91's out back. I was waiting for spring as I don't want to drive the car with salt on the roads. Down the hill to his garage is okay but, test driving it and such will require some road distance so I have been waiting for spring first. On top of this, I will be 70 years old this year myself and gettin up off the ground ain't the walk in the park it used to be. I also am still working, (rotating shifts) with no end in site. I wish I could just hit the lottery & drop dead from shock with a smile on my face, lol! I will post up any updates as soon as something develops. I appreciate all of your input here and if there is something else I missed, please let me know. :)

Thanks for the update, hope you're able to get it resolved with the help of your cool neighbor. I'm fairly certain mine is a cable/connection related issue. While I was doing my interior last year, I discovered the PO had just screwed the shifter to the tunnel/hump with sheet metal screws and a lot of washers! Mine was originally Column Shifted, so there was no pad to secure the shifter to, and he didn't add one. I purchased a mounting adapter/bracket from B&M to better secure the shifter to. I don't look forward to being underneath, trying to get nuts & washers on the adapter bolts. Hopefully it goes better than I anticipate. Fingers crossed we both get er done, and celebrate at Carlisle in July!

Auto Transport Service
Back