• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trans tunnel trivia

66_B_Body4ever

Local time
5:28 AM
Reaction score
Just about to weld the left floor pan in on my 66 Belvedere. The pan I am welding in has a hump (see pic) for what I beleive to be the automatic gear shift selector pivot. My car was a column shift auto originally (thus no hump?) but my plans are to have a satellite style interior incorporating the factory style console. So...do I need this hump? Is it for later models like the 68-70?

I am piecing together a step by step on this little project which I will post when I am done for those that are anticipating this type of project.

Cheers! -J

IMG_0861.jpg

Is this a reproduction floor pan with this hump?

I may be getting old and maybe my memory is fading, but I don't ever recall seeing a hump like that on any of the 68-up B bodies I have ever looked at. The ones that I have seen with a console shift had what I always thought looked like a factory punched hole with three screw holes to hold the bezel for a rubber boot for the down rod to go through, similar to a 4 peed shifter only much smaller. There was NO hump like shown in your picture, the hole was simply punched on the side of the standard driveshaft hump.

Why would the factory make a hump without a hole for non-floor shift cars that would create a carpet laying problem or require formed section of carpet?

Yes, this is a repro floor pan and I am puzzled by this hump myself, everything about the panel is very correct, except the humped area. My car is a 66 but I am not sure why they would create two different floor pans. The repro panel came from Year One originally, I bought it off Ebay. I am trying to track down the brackets needed to install the console if anyone has some laying around.

Thanks...J

The hump is for the console pivot on all 68-70. I really never got into 66 b bodies but every 68-70 has that hump and needs it for the console pivot. I would think 66-67 would be the same as the console and floors are all about the same.

My 62 had it as well as my 65,6 and 7 B body automatic cars. It don't appear to be much of a hump when the hole is cut out. If your going to a floor shifter and console you beed to get the piece rrunner offered you. In 1962 I bought a 413 max wedge Dode that was totaled from the rear for 20 bucks and a six cylinder car that head on'ed a oak tree for 5 bucks and made my first car.

My 66 Satellite does NOT have a hump and it is an original floor shift auto car. It just has a hole and a rubber boot deal with a gasket that screws to the floor. The bump however IS in the same place as the transmission pivot hole. If I where you I would keep it and POSSIBLY use it as a convienent place to mount a line lock switch or something similar.

My 66 Satellite does NOT have a hump and it is an original floor shift auto car. It just has a hole and a rubber boot deal with a gasket that screws to the floor. The bump however IS in the same place as the transmission pivot hole. If I where you I would keep it and POSSIBLY use it as a convienent place to mount a line lock switch or something similar.

That is what I was describing above that I have always seen on all of the 68-69 cars that I have had. I have had plenty of 66-67 cars as well but have never noticed this hump on them either.

Sounds to me from what has been posted here it may have been an individual assembly plant thing as each plant stamp their own metal.

Hmmmm...the plot thickens, Thanks for the input, I'll leave the hump in I can't imagine it being a problem. My car is not a purist resto regardless, just needed to know that it wouldn't interfere with the console.
Thanks boys.

I have always noticed a slight hump, or flat spot, to mount the floor shift auto linkage boot on the 68 - 70 B bodies. This repo hump is too pronounced from what I remember.

Auto Transport Service
Back