• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Transbrake Torque Converter ?

Mike Gaines

Local time
6:02 AM
Reaction score
I have been "foot braking" my car since I installed my 505" stroker motor.
Prior to putting in the new 505" I sent my converter back to Lenny at Ultimate Converter with my spec sheet and Engine Dyno charts.
He modified my then current 10" converter for my new motor and footbraking.
It has a 5000 flash.
Question:
I will be installing a new Cope Super Pro Transbrake Torqueflite in a couple weeks and my questions is will my current Converter be suitable for the Trans Brake Transmission or will it be subject to "breaking" because it wasn't specially built for a Trans Brake but for a Foot Brake.
I do have the other components suitable for a transbrake which are:
1) Solid Steel Motor Mounts plus Torque Strap. (No motor plate)
2) Dana 60 with all Moser parts and axles and Spool. 4.30-1
3) Billet Yokes and 1350 U-Joints
4) Complete Cal Trac rear suspension...Cal Trac Bars, Mono Leaf Spring and Cal Trac 9 Way Adjustable Shocks and Cal Trac 90/10 front shocks and 6" of front wheel travel.
My 60 foots now average between 1.44 and 1.46.
I must have the Trans Brake to be competitive in the class I run that uses a "Pro Tree" NOT a Full Tree.

Your input is appreciate. Thanks,

I bought a trans from Cope about 4 months ago. I'd just call him up and ask, hes very knowledgeable and helpful every time I've called.

Or call up PTC converters(Who John would recommend) and ask them, they are also very helpful and all they do is converters.

I just called Lenny's at Ultimate Converter and he confirmed that my converter ( he built it ) was just fine for a transbrake as it has a Billet Stator, Anti-Ballooning Plates both front and rear and a top.of the line Sprag....no worry at all because it had all the right stuff when built

I just called Lenny's at Ultimate Converter and he confirmed that my converter ( he built it ) was just fine for a transbrake as it has a Billet Stator, Anti-Ballooning Plates both front and rear and a top.of the line Sprag....no worry at all because it had all the right stuff when built
that's good , I am stuck with new converter if I go tbrake . No anti balloon plates , was built 7 or 8 years ago now . Tbrake was not in my future - at that time

Tex

I just ordered a new 8" from PTC. Kenny Ford really knows his **** with this stuff.

agree with all the above comments , I have a cope racing 727 and a 4500 ptc converter . Both companies extremely knowledgable and very helpful.

Auto Transport Service
Back