• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Transmission Case to Cylinder Block Brace for big block Charger

Frankb

Local time
3:28 AM
Reaction score
What exactly is the transmission case to to cylinder block brace? My FSM says to install it. I don't remember ever removing one

Dont think ive seen them on big block, but they may have existed once upon a time.... Definately have seen them on small blocks....just a short ~6-8" angled strip of metal with a hole in each end to bolt into the trans case and the block, one for each side.

They are kind of an angle iron looking thing with a bent loop on each end. Most of them were tossed long ago. These are for a small block but the BB look "something" like this.

s-l500.jpg

Do you need them? The car did not have these when I took the trans out. engine is a 400/511

WTH are you guys talking about BB mopar cars don’t ever have those. The block goes down past the crank centerline and there is a bolt on each side.

I'm good with that. Like I said I don't ever remember seeing these. Thanks
Frank

Heck....I even throw away the ones from the LA blocks!

Do you think the Chrysler Engineers just put them on for no reason? That's a big expense to have installed them on millions of vehicles.
*shrugs* Must have been an issue at one time, eh?
Cracking bells on auto trannies maybe?

Those braces were installed on dodge trucks with small blocks. If you don't use them there is a chance of the bellhousing cracking especially if off roading (I have seen pictures). Anybody that has those braces and don't want them, you should sell them to the truck guys, they are always looking for them.

Took them off when I rebuilt my POLY, and put them back on. Figured they were there for a reason.

Auto Transport Service
Back