• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Transmission Fill Tube / Dipstick issue

68wanabee

Local time
12:05 AM
Reaction score
I just finished getting my transmission rebuilt over the last few weeks. I also, changed out my exhaust manifolds with Summit Racing Ceramic headers. The transmission is a 727 attached to my 440 motor in my 68 Coronet 440.
My problem is that the tube is not clearing around the headers and or doesn't seem to fit the way it used to as one of the down tubes interferes with old location.
Does anyone have any recommendations? I am planning to see if I can do some manipulating and bending it so, I will be able to get to the dipstick, but if that doesn't work what is a good after market replacement tube. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

In the case of headers, I have sometimes had to remove the thin retaining strap and either shorten, extend or just make a new one. The tube will swivel toward the fender apron and once it is clear of all obstructions, measure for the mounting strap and make one out of 14 gauge metal.
IF you don't have a welder.....I'm not sure what to suggest!

I successfully bent my tube to clear the headers. Small amounts at a time!
Mike

In the case of headers, I have sometimes had to remove the thin retaining strap and either shorten, extend or just make a new one. The tube will swivel toward the fender apron and once it is clear of all obstructions, measure for the mounting strap and make one out of 14 gauge metal.
IF you don't have a welder.....I'm not sure what to suggest!
Thanks Kern Dog, I will let you know what I come up with.

There are aftermarket flexible dip stick tubes out there.

My car has a aftermarket locking tube from the previous owner. It clears TTI headers. But, they only make Mopar specific headers.

IIRC, Lokar trans dipsticks need to be bolted to the firewall. So, if that's an issue...

Auto Transport Service
Back