• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Transmission issues, help

Huicho417

Local time
9:16 AM
Reaction score
Happy to report that I finally got the Coronet started and sounds great. I upgraded the 318 with an edelbrock intake and four barrel carburetor combo. I also upgraded the points to a pertronix electronic ignition. I have the timing set to 10 degrees before t.d.c. Is this proper for the four barrel conversion? Also, once I tried to move the car it took a lot of throttle to get it moving. My first issue was the e brake was stuck. Once I resolved that it still seemed like it was thought to get it moving. Any ideas?

AF3FBBE3-E10D-436B-8971-F703BFB2FBD3.jpeg

Put it in neutral and let idle till warm, transmission pump does not work in park if I remember correctly. Once warm and running while still in neutral, check transmission fluid and fill as necessary. After that if it's still not moving in drive or reverse, more trouble shooting

are the brakes dragging,how long has it been sitting? Did you have this problem before you worked on the car?

Do you have the throttle pressure linkage adjusted properly?
Mike

The car has been sitting for about six months now. But I removed the rear drums and worked on the e-brake line. I do not think the rear brakes are dragging anymore. I did have the kickdown/throttle linkage set correctly per the service manual. However, I messed with that after I saw a you tube video and now mid idle speed is way off. I am going to reset it tomorrow again per the service manual. Once I get my idle and timing correctly again I will let it run on neutral to pump the transmission. Thinking about it logically, it has been sitting for a while and think this will make a difference. I also noticed before when I was under the car that the transmission was leaking fluid so I am sure I will need to add some. What type of transmission fluid should I get? I will post an update tomorrow to see how it goes.

Also, does anyone know where I can purchase the flag clip that holds the rod to the transmission kickdown lever?

Any ATF+4. I use generic Walmart, Autozone, O'Reilly etc shelf brand. They are all good.

disconnect the e-brake system and see if you still have a problem. You could (and mostly) have a frozen cable, there are 3. The other issue make be a failed brake line hose which acts like a one-way valve when they fail on the inner lining. If they're originals, replace them.

Here is the update as of today. First I adjusted the kickdown/throttle linkage per the service manual. Then I went ahead and removed the transmission oil pan, inspected and replaced the filter. Only two quarts of oil drained from the transmission. Most videos I have seen on you tube look like more oil should have drained. I added the two quarts Thad came out and later today I will add more if needed. Hopefully this fixes the issue.

Here is the update as of today. First I adjusted the kickdown/throttle linkage per the service manual. Then I went ahead and removed the transmission oil pan, inspected and replaced the filter. Only two quarts of oil drained from the transmission. Most videos I have seen on you tube look like more oil should have drained. I added the two quarts Thad came out and later today I will add more if needed. Hopefully this fixes the issue.
I believe an empty 727 takes around 8 quarts. Before starting, fill to full line on dipstick. It will "always" show higher when off than when running. Then start engine, run in neutral, then through gears n back to neutral. Check it then, in neutral while it's running and add however much more you need.

You said that you went from a 2 bbl to a 4 bbl. Factory carb and manifolds ? Generally the 2 bbl trans kickdown linkage is not compatible with a 4 bbl carb and manifold. The 4 barrel carb and manifold sit higher and farther forward then the factory 2 barrel.
Different lengths and angles as well as manifold bracket. Bracket too low and linkages too short. What exact parts are you using ? pictures ?
A Cable conversion is needed many times.

MoparLeo is correct. If that is the case, you need a rear of manifold adapter, Mancini sells one, and the get allthread of same size as kickdown "downrod" and "horizontal" rod, turnbuckle for each. They will need to be lengthened. Surprised your throttle cable didn't need to be longer. I went from 2 bbl, to Edelbrock RPM manifold n 4bbl n had to adjust my linkage and replace my throttle cable.

Great news. But first yes, I did have to install the appropriate throttle bracket (340/360) and longer throttle cable to sit higher and allow it to travel about and inch further to the carburetor stud. For the throttle rod I had to purchase the extender from edelbrock that screws into the original to allow the kickdown linkage to work. Car once again is in correct timing and idles great. The transmission issue solution you all proposed was spot on. I had to add about 3 quarts of oil and it responded right away after I let it idle in neutral. Now I need to adjust the carburetor because once I put it in gear it dies as soon as I give it gas. Really appreciate the suggestions to this post. This weekend was a success thanks to each and everyone one of you. High five everyone!

Auto Transport Service
Back