• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Transmission Options for 5.7 swap

xRickyBobbyx

Local time
8:06 PM
Reaction score
I searched and didn't find any thread that answered my question. I have a '69 Coronet 440 sedan with a 318 and 3sp 727. I've decided to go with a 5.7 or 6.4 swap due to finding kits that wil make it easier. Ive heard the 727 is pretty strong and can handle the power, but I'd prefer more than 3 speeds. Ive read threads about spending $2-3k to get the gears split. But my question is this. Has anyone used the modern transmissions that came with their 5.7+ swap? I think I'd like to have the 8sp trans like my current Ram 1500 has. Is that even possible?

Any of those transmissions mentioned will require a TCM to control the transmission.

I searched and didn't find any thread that answered my question. I have a '69 Coronet 440 sedan with a 318 and 3sp 727. I've decided to go with a 5.7 or 6.4 swap due to finding kits that wil make it easier. Ive heard the 727 is pretty strong and can handle the power, but I'd prefer more than 3 speeds. Ive read threads about spending $2-3k to get the gears split. But my question is this. Has anyone used the modern transmissions that came with their 5.7+ swap? I think I'd like to have the 8sp trans like my current Ram 1500 has. Is that even possible?
Easiest is to use the 4 spd trans out of a 90s dakota. They are basically a 727 with an overdrive. I am still researching but I know a holley will operate overdrive and lockup. I also think those can be put on a switch but that I am still looking into. Problem is fitting it into your trans tunnel. Most guys are using 4L80e or 60e and using available controllers to operate the trans.

And probably a tunnel modification as they are alot larger around the bellhousing area right behind it. Alot of times you have to cut the tunnel to fit that portion of trans into the car.

And probably a tunnel modification as they are alot larger around the bellhousing area right behind it. Alot of times you have to cut the tunnel to fit that portion of trans into the car.
Someone listed a kit for the GM trans from a vendor, but the vendor cleverly labeled it as a generic proprietary name instead of 4l60e conversion and they claimed no trans tunnel modification in a B body. I just looked and I did not save the link.

Someone listed a kit for the GM trans from a vendor, but the vendor cleverly labeled it as a generic proprietary name instead of 4l60e conversion and they claimed no trans tunnel modification in a B body. I just looked and I did not save the link.
Yea I have never done anything swap wise like that, but see alot of the pics and videos with different modern swaps needing the trans tunnel cut.

You can use the 8 speed with a Sound German Automotive controller. PCS – Sound German Automotive

The Holley Terminator X Max will control a 46RE transmission 3-4 Shift, Torque Convertor Lockup and governor pressure circuit.

Check out Holley's Hemi swap section. They make putting the 8 speed in pretty easy all things considered.

Check out Holley's Hemi swap section. They make putting the 8 speed in pretty easy all things considered.
Yes they do, but the holley won't control it. Same with my 6r80, had to buy a separate stand alone for it on my race car. But when Holley finally releases the controller for the 8spd, I'll be one of the first to buy one.

Yes they do, but the holley won't control it. Same with my 6r80, had to buy a separate stand alone for it on my race car. But when Holley finally releases the controller for the 8spd, I'll be one of the first to buy one.
I didn't mention it because someone already did but Sound German makes one

I didn't mention it because someone already did but Sound German makes one
Yeah, I saw that, and it's cool, but I'm going to wait until Holley releases an 8spd controller for the termyxmax or dominator.

Ive seen a few SGA controllers for sale in some facebook groups recently. I think one was $700 and another $1000 but that one sold.

Screenshot_20230215-211614.png

You might want to consider these folks. Don't have to cut the tunnel.

The 8 speed automatic is great for engines with a narrow power band but in my opinion, isn't necessary. The 5 speed automatics that came in the cars has decent gear ratios and spreads but would need a stand-alone controller.
The Silver Sport 4L60E A41 kit is based on the old GM 700R4 automatic. It is a 4 speed with a deep 3.06 first gear with a .70 overdrive. I've driven cars with this transmission and it is a decent unit. Silver Sport supposedly modifies theirs to handle higher HP loads.
A few years back I decided that I wanted to drive my car more. The wife and I have a 2015 Challenger with the 8 speed automatic. It really is a HUGE transmission. Serious floorpan modifications will be necessary to fit it and forget about a bench seat or a factory console.
The Silver Sport A41 fits without cutting.
The 518 requires an adapter bellhousing to fit a big block and while it does work, you're still stuck with a 2.45 first gear.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back